Add On Wood Furnace Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
laynes69 said:
You beat me to it. Those prices include shipping.
wow what a diff in pricing from yukon!= sounds sweeeeeet!

You obviously missed something....

The Caddy 450 lbs. vs SJ125 680 lbs so there's way more material in the SJ125 which includes more surface heat exchange area enabling you to exchange more heats.
The Caddy no reburn vs SJ125 yes on the reburn so you'll burn less wood.
they also want you to set a draft reg. at .04-.06 inches. The SJ125 is set at .03 so theres less heat going up the stack by design.
The Caddy lifetime on the welds and ashpan. 1st off welds hardly ever let go ..it's the steel next to the weld that only has 5 years.
The SJ125 has a 30 year on the firebox.In 12 years while working here I've only seen 3 that have burned out and they were all over 25 years old.

We sell factory direct...no middle man mark up...with Caddy your paying that mark up plus a fee to get it across the border.
So what are you really getting for your money?

Go ahead and get your Caddy....there are worse choices.
Caddy's should be way cheaper.They have less in them. It's the retailer that makes them almost equal in pricing.

Epa Certification would be impossible without some sort of secondary combustion, or catalyst. I don't buy sales hypes. EPA Certified says alot. Why replace an old unit if it works just fine? You save wood, get more heat, a cleaner chimney and a beautiful fire that you can watch through the glass. You get a ton of bonuses with an upgrade. I can see a future with at least 2 more furnaces meeting EPA certification specs. And those were the blaze king, and the energy king. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking a Caddy is a cheap furnace. They are well built, alot of attention and design was put into the furnaces. They weigh less because of a glass door, thinner firebrick, etc. Both contain a 7 gauge firebox. I am very impressed with mine and I know others are as well! I had a blazing fire in my furnace, and I could touch my flue. They are efficient.

i like the big viewing window ,my englander has this too and its so nice being able to check on the status of the fire from the stairs without going al lthe way over and opening the door letting the heat out and emitting smoke .plus our lab loves to watch the flame action too.i doubt i could ever go with a wood burner without a viewing window and having the secondaries kick in above must be a nice showy inferno to witness on the caddy

Alright... back to the chimney discussion...

I did some more in depth looking, I lowered my digital camera down on a string with a light and took video of the inside of the chimney. I could see the couple tiles near the bottom of the chimney have some cracks in them. There's a sizable vertical crack in the second tile from the bottom. So I definitely need to line it or take the tiles out and line it with something else. Any suggestions on what I should line it with? Should I plan on taking all the clay tiles out or would it be okay to put a liner inside them? They are 8" inner diameter tiles. Looks like I'd need a 6" flue if I go with the Mini Caddy which is what I'm leaning towards right now.

I guess the question would be how would you move the air from the house to the shed and back to the house without loosing a lot of the heat? And is your shed insulated enough to keep heat from the furnace in the shed, not heating your neighborhood? If you had a plan to do that, then I don't see why you could not do it.

I also have no clue what the building code would be in that situation.

timeuser said:

I did some more in depth looking, I lowered my digital camera down on a string with a light and took video of the inside of the chimney. I could see the couple tiles near the bottom of the chimney have some cracks in them. There's a sizable vertical crack in the second tile from the bottom. So I definitely need to line it or take the tiles out and line it with something else. Any suggestions on what I should line it with? Should I plan on taking all the clay tiles out or would it be okay to put a liner inside them? They are 8" inner diameter tiles. Looks like I'd need a 6" flue if I go with the Mini Caddy which is what I'm leaning towards right now.

Might be worth getting a professional sweep to evaluate the condition - some minor cracking can be OK, missing chunks or similar usually isn't... The problem you will find with an 8" diameter tile is getting a liner that will fit down it and still give you a useable flue...

Gooserider

timeuser said:

Any movement yet? which furnace did you end up with? I am going through the same thing right now trying to decide on an addon furnace that will best fit my setup.

I was gonna go with a Mini Caddy, but I ended up changing my mind on the add-on completely and putting in a wood stove upstairs. I just realized it was cheaper, more direct efficient heat where we need it and after looking at the pictures of the Caddy with it's see through glass my wife decided she'd like a nice hearth and visible fire in the livingroom. ;-)

timeuser said:
I was gonna go with a Mini Caddy, but I ended up changing my mind on the add-on completely and putting in a wood stove upstairs. I just realized it was cheaper, more direct efficient heat where we need it and after looking at the pictures of the Caddy with it's see through glass my wife decided she'd like a nice hearth and visible fire in the livingroom. ;-)

Sounds like a good approach - WAF is always an important consideration for certain...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
timeuser said:

Sounds like a good approach - WAF is always an important consideration for certain...

Gooserider

WAF???

GatorDL55 said:
Gooserider said:
timeuser said:

Gooserider

WAF???

Wife Acceptance Factor.... As in "Install plans that have an insufficient level of WAF can result in him having to sleep with the stove...." ;-P

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.