Add on wood furnace debate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stillson lives

Mar 15, 2014
Attica ny
My buddy wants to connect his add on wood furnace to a trunk line instead of his main forced air (gas) stack. I said I would ask the pros here if this
Is possible. The furnace is too far away from his chimney and he thinks hooking it into a trunk line is good enough to get his heat upstairs. Is he right?

Usually this ends up with an inadequate and poor performing system. A proper trunk duct is sized in graduated steps, the largest being at the connection with the furnace plenum. When attaching to the end of the line the trunk will be smaller. That leads to poor airflow. Also, just pushing hot air into the trunk will not prevent it from taking the path of least resistance. Usually this ends up with the heat going through the furnace and its returns. Normally one would connect at the furnace and install back draft dampers to prevent this from happening.

Usually this ends up with an inadequate and poor performing system. A proper trunk duct is sized in graduated steps, the largest being at the connection with the furnace plenum. When attaching to the end of the line the trunk will be smaller. That leads to poor airflow. Also, just pushing hot air into the trunk will not prevent it from taking the path of least resistance. Usually this ends up with the heat going through the furnace and its returns. Normally one would connect at the furnace and install back draft dampers to prevent this from happening.
Thanks Begreen! The problem is the wood furnace is about 30 feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.