Add on Wood Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbatzold

Sep 26, 2008
Central NY
My father is looking to replace his 30 year old add on wood furnace. Does anyone have any suggestions? His current one is a Sure-Fire 101A 110-140,000 BTU unit. His house is 3,00sf+

I would recommend searching the forum via the search function or in google paste in the below:

site:hearth.com "wood furnace"

Caddy, Woodchuck (Meyer Mfg), and Yukon-Eagle are some of the better ones.
I have a Woodchuck and am happy with it. I think there are better to be had.
I started out with an englander. Cheap but not very efficient and not easily controlled.

Look at his heat load, even though his old woodfurnace is that large, it may be oversized. If he has a newer home that's well insulated then he could go with a smaller unit. At 3,000 sqft, I would look into a larger furnace like a Max Caddy made by PSG. One of the largest clean burning furnaces on the market. The modern furnaces like the Caddy line and Kuuma's are higher in price, but the clean burning capabilities and wood reduction make it worth it, as well as longer burns. Unlike the old furnace though, the newer models require well seasoned wood. Wood that's split and stacked for a year or better is optimum. Wood like hickory and oak may require 2 years to season.

Status
Not open for further replies.