Added outside air to my Whitfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ranger72

Minister of Fire
Oct 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
I haven't posted in a while, but I added true outside air to my Whitfield Advantage II-T insert yesterday. My house is very tight, but you could feel th draft along the floor in front of the stove. Not anymore, what a difference! Should have done this years ago. I did bend up some sheet metal and cover the holes on the air intake. (Yes I removed the wall between the two holes. Haha)

Reactions: Washed-Up

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Not a hot topic with me. A COLD topic as in cold intake air. In the dead of winter my intake piping (heat riser foil hose) can actually frost up. I know it's cold outside when that happens.

tlc1976

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
My mid 1980s house is so tight that the stove won’t run without it. I tried. Can’t imagine modern construction.

My OAK frosts up when it’s super cold like-20f. Last winter it never frosted up.

Reactions: Ranger72

607PelletBurn

Mar 11, 2019
Got our used pellet stove all hooked up in our new home with OAK, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to wrap the intake pipe with some kind of insulation...

Ranger72

Minister of Fire
Oct 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
It's definitely worth it. The duct can get frosty on very cold days, which will subsequently melt inside your home possibly causing a puddle.

Ranger72

Minister of Fire
Oct 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
Reactions: 607PelletBurn

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I've never got enough to drip actually.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I do get a kick out of this forum. I always thought it was an FAK (fresh air kit) not an OAK

Ranger72

Minister of Fire
Oct 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
I do get a kick out of this forum. I always thought it was an FAK (fresh air kit) not an OAK
I've only been burning pellets for 10 years, but I have always heard it referred to as an Outside Air Kit. Semantics really I suppose.

Last edited:

tlc1976

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
I’ve seen it both ways. I prefer outside air kit because it’s simple and to the point on its purpose.

Call it a fresh air kit and people may think its purpose is air quality and think “I have an air purification system, isn’t that good enough?” Or some may even think it helps clean the air.

Reactions: SidecarFlip

Washed-Up

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2011
Kananaskis,Alberta, Canada
It’s better with an F’n OAK….FOAK ;)