adding baseboard off the boiler loop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rowerwet

Minister of Fire
I plan on running a baseboard in my bathroom that will be connected to each side of the boiler loop, I will put a ball valve in the bathroom to turn it off and on, I have 1" pex on the boiler loop and will feed the baseboard with 1/2" pex, I figure the boiler pump will provide enough flow to heat the baseboard without robbing all the heat from my oil beast HX. Does this seem reasonable or am I missing something?

I am considering a similar addition only using panel units to heat a bath room and bedroom and the solution suggested was to add a manifold and pump to control water to the units and a thermostatic controller valve at each unit to set temp. Still a pretty clean and simple addition and the manifold does the job of diverting water to the other baseboards.

thanks for the responses, I am looking for a replacement for my electric bathroom heater, I figure I already have the hot water in the boiler, and have already used the electricity to pump the water, I get frequent power outages here, and am really only looking for heat in that room for while the family is bathing, so any thermostats electrical valves etc. would be overkill and another load on my generator during power outages.
The only real issue I thought of is that it may bypass so much flow that the house HX may not get enough heat to keep up, I will control that with the ball valves I already have in place, right now they are keeping the water in at the T sharkbites on the boiler loop (where the thermopex ends) where the bathroom loop will connect.

rowerwet said:
I plan on running a baseboard in my bathroom that will be connected to each side of the boiler loop, I will put a ball valve in the bathroom to turn it off and on, I have 1" pex on the boiler loop and will feed the baseboard with 1/2" pex, I figure the boiler pump will provide enough flow to heat the baseboard without robbing all the heat from my oil beast HX. Does this seem reasonable or am I missing something?

Really the devils in the details here, This could work but but depending on the pressure drop between your 2 tee's you could end
up with little/no flow through your "emergency" loop. depending on the layout a 1" valve between the tee's could solve that.

As you stated too much flow can be throttled with a 1/2" valve.

zone valves and thermostats are relatively cheap and require little power so I would consider them.
Another option would be a mechanical thermostat installed on the baseboard/radiator, there is a recent thread on low temp radiant panels
that shows the use of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.