Adding depth to gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jspeed

Mar 15, 2021
Rochester NY
I would like to remove my hearth from a traditional wood fireplace with gas insert and add depth to the fireplace facade while creating a “floating” fireplace design. Is it possible to build out from the insert? I would like to frame out 10” from the front with cement board and create a design like the following picture. I was wondering if the extension could be lined with something like granite to guide the heat. Basically there would be a bit of a picture frame to the glass of the insert instead of it being right at the front edge. Trying to create something as close as possible to the pictured design. Thank you for any help.

19B7479C-3155-499A-948C-911A5F5F7832.jpeg

I would like to remove my hearth from a traditional wood fireplace with gas insert and add depth to the fireplace facade while creating a “floating” fireplace design. Is it possible to build out from the insert? I would like to frame out 10” from the front with cement board and create a design like the following picture. I was wondering if the extension could be lined with something like granite to guide the heat. Basically there would be a bit of a picture frame to the glass of the insert instead of it being right at the front edge. Trying to create something as close as possible to the pictured design. Thank you for any help.

View attachment 276481
You would have to check the install manual for the specific insert that you will be using. The HeatnGlo inserts that I install can be built out like that as long as ALL of the material used is non combustible (metal studs, cement board). The other concern is that pulling the unit forward will put too much of a bend in the flex liners when they go into the flue.