Adding home EV charging ?s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
I didn't read the entire thread (a lot of quick interest from the crowd!), but your "no garage" comment made me think of a car port. I read that a solar car port benefits from the 26% tax credit. I'm pondering the feasibility of this for the house, even though I don't yet have an EV.
We have too many trees ( half aren’t mine) for solar. It will parked in a driveway. I have keep trying /wanting to make solar an option is just isn’t a good one for us

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Would you feel comfortable running a 20A 240V gfci outlet on 12-2 +ground and not running a neutral?

The wire is already run from the sub panel.

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
Would you feel comfortable running a 20A 240V gfci outlet on 12-2 +ground and not running a neutral?

I wired up a friends outlet like that for his LEAF. He already had three wires (2+GND) running 120V 20A, and I just changed the breaker and the outlet. Voila: 3.8 kW.

The EVSE plugging into doesn't have a neutral. Its a 240V three prong plug.

Reactions: EbS-P

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA

Deets:

The EVSE (like I linked to above) are dual voltage 120V/240V units with a 15A 120V male plug on them. Designed to work at 16A and 240V. I did NOT want to put a 15A 120V outlet on the outside of a house that was wired for 240V, bc obv someone could come up and plug in a hedge trimmer and blow it up (or worse). Soooo. I installed the correct NEMA outlet for a 240V and 20 A service. I then wired up an adapter for the EVSE to convert the standard 120V male plug to a 240V 20A male plug. And ziptied the adapter to the EVSE.