Adding owb to existing radiant system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tjmortenson

Oct 2, 2019
Pequot Lakes, MN
Hi,
I'm currently looking into switching to an outdoor wood boiler as my primary heat source. Right now my main heat source is a hydronic in floor heat system with an electric boiler. Do I need to use a plate style heat exchanger to keep the electric boiler as a backup, or can I plumb the owb directly into my in floor heat system?

I would usea plate heat exchanger. Keeps pressure on the electric boiler as it's supposed to be.

Also be careful what you call 'primary' when talking to certain people.

Quite sure insurance people want and require 'primary' to be able to operate on its own without regular manual operation. I.e., your electric boiler. Even if another heat source is used 90% of the time.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It depends on weather you buy a boiler or water heater.
Boilers are pressurized
Water heaters are not