Adding secondary burn to a Lopi FL wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's an experimental stove modification. The ball-valve just offers more control. Once the proper airflow is determined, it would not be needed but no harm. It feeds room air into the combusting wood gases for more complete combustion.

The ball valve allows fresh air into the burn tubes. When the tubes are hot, they’ll blast fresh air into the fumes coming off the logs and help ignite unburned fuel (smoke). This means you get more heat out of the same batch of wood, less creosote buildup in the stove & flue, and more efficiency from an old stove. Most of Lopi’s new stoves use reburn pipes along the top of the fire box, so I retrofitted this old stove to burn more efficiently like the new ones.

It’s all since been replaced with a new Lopi Evergreen II stove, but the experience was fun and kept us warm for a winter.

I put a s secondary burner in my Clayton wood furnace. I used a stainless H shape barbecue grill burner for the tubes. It worked very good and held up well.

Reactions: bigealta
I put a s secondary burner in my Clayton wood furnace. I used a stainless H shape barbecue grill burner for the tubes. It worked very good and held up well.
That's an ingenious repurposing.

That's an ingenious repurposing.
Found a pic of it. I did it when I first bought the stove. It was a Hot Blast 1357, which is the small version of the 1557. It had single grate and single blower as opposed to double grate and double blowers. Basically half the size.

3D380BCF-B7EA-4533-8D62-5E2B3D286C7D.jpeg

Last edited: