Adding stove to 2nd flue - general questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mewop

Nov 19, 2020
NC
I am looking for a bit of advice. Our chimney has a second flue that terminates in our dining room. It has never been used. I demo'd the wall that has been covering it and found a very nice brick wall that we love. I am looking to add a wood stove. The thimble measures 8". I have not taken the cap off to look inside, but I assume the interior is the same as our other flue which has the walls lined with smooth clay tiles. Clearance should be very easy to keep because the back wall is the chimney itself, one side wall is about 10' away and the other face is about 3-4' depending on size of the stove.

I have been looking at a Blaze King because of it's quality and burn times, but the only model that is compatible with an 8" thimble is an absolute unit- over 35" x 30". This could fit but I think it is way too large for our dining room. Is it possible to have one of their 6" models with this setup and use an adapter at the thimble? From thimble to exit, the chimney is about 25-30' height. One face of the chimney on the second floor is exposed. I would be looking at a "medium" or "large" sized - preferably medium.

I know the answer to my next question is "It depends where you are", but in general, are insulated flex liners a standard for most areas or is that still only required if your chimney is not clay lined or if it is damaged? I do plan on talking to my county and will probably pull a permit for this just as a CYA incase my house burns down.

I have been planning to put down red brick as the underlayment for the stove. How far out are most of you extending this from the door opening? I know I need space for embers/loading etc but also want to avoid extending this out too far into the dining room.

The nearest BK vendor is several states away. I'm not able to find any pricing info online like I can with other manufacturers. Do any of you know of anyplace online I look to compare prices / shipping?

Last edited:
For proper performance it's strongly recommended connecting BK stoves to an insulated liner in the chimney. What is the ID of the chimney?

I'm not sure to be honest - i took a few photos tonight from the cleanout. It looks to be probably more than a foot wide? (that sounds big?) Hard to gauge size but looking in the other flue it appears to be standard cinder block width and length minus the liner (16" x 8"). My endoscope does not focus at distance very well.
"second flue" (left photo) is the side that would house the new stove- appears to be just cinder block up until the 2nd floor (which is where the flue comes in). The liner looks like it starts at least 4-5' below where the flue enters. The right photo (with visible soot) shows the current stove in the basement - you can more clearly see the liner

second flue.jpg flue in use.jpg