Adding stove to heating system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmwsc

Feb 4, 2013
central Mass
I have the ability to add a blower fan to my glacier bay MCC. There is an 18"w x 5"h cutout in the rear of the double walled stove. I had considered adding one of these Large Room Air Blower for Englander Stoves (Model AC-30) - the depot has them for $189. This would push out a ton of hot air down and probably fit very well but my intention isn't really to heat the basement where the stove is located.

I got the stove installed about midway through last winter. The basement stayed hot, the living room was hot, the bedrooms at the end of our ranch style house were cold. I just want to disperse the hot air a little more evenly through the house.

Would there be any issues or safety concerns about modifying a heat register duct to fit the stove opening then using a length of aluminum flex to attach it to the forced hot air duct work. I was thinking I would an inline duct fan to pull the air through. With the register box attaching directly to the rear of the stove should I be concerned about the galvanized steel (all the register boxes I to find at the big box stores appear to be galvanized). I'm not sure what temp the zinc starts fuming or how hot the outside of the double walled stove gets. If the inline duct doesn't move enough air through the system I can always just switch on the furnace fan too.

Obviously I would shut it down when adding fuel (wood or coal) and when cleaning. It would pull the air from the vents on the left and right sides of the stove.

IMAG0961.jpg

What is being proposed is against mechanical code. The return needs to be at least 10 ft away from the stove.

For more even heat in the house put a table or box fan at the far end of the hallway, placed on the floor, pointing toward the woodstove. Run it on low speed. It will blow the cooler air down low, toward the woodstove. The denser cool air will be replaced with lighter warm air from the stove room. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the hallway temp after about 30 minutes running. You could do this same thing with an insulated duct and 120-150cfm inline fan using the same principal. Put the return in the cooler area and blow the cold air toward the warmer stove area.

Reactions: diabolical
Status
Not open for further replies.