adding to existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo

Oct 22, 2015
Nh
hi guys, i am needing to add two feet on my existing chimney so that its up to code. i have a metalbestos chimney pipe running through the roof and outside. I talked with a guy at a stove shop, and he told me unless i can figure out exactly what brand of pipe i currently had i might have to replace the whole chimney. he said even if i find a two foot section that may fit onto my existing chimney it wouldn't be safe if i didnt know for sure it was the same brand. can anyone out there support or deny this. thx

They are correct for the most part. If you did find another brand that fit correctly it would not meet code but as long as it really did fit correctly it would be safe

Reactions: Bingo
I just posted a similar note in a thread i started earlier today. I was told to take a few pics of the pipe & post it up here & folks should be able to identify it. Or you could send it to Selkirk (who makes metalbestos) & have them confirm

Reactions: Bingo
thanks bholler,maybe ill try to send a picture to selkirk. this is not my pipe, just a picture of one that looks similar. ive been looking around and all the different brands of pipe look very similar, it seems like it would be hard to spot any differences, maybe an expert knows what to look for. thx i appreciate the info

Attachments

• adding to existing chimney
    jpg.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.