advice for large wood stove with limited clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maineburner

May 6, 2018
maine
Hello,
I am looking for some advice. We had a VC1945 defiant which now has a crack in the top panel. It is about 15 years old. I have a masonry chimney made of cinderblock with a plaster coating that would form the rear wall of the stove. So I think I can bring the new stove back a little tighter then some of the manuals suggest for rear wall clearance. I have a flagstone hearth that is 47 inches from rear wall to front. R value for the stone would be low and it sits on a wood floor under the stone. I am looking to get away from catalytic stoves. The width of my hearth is approx 60 inches. I am looking for as large a stove I can get. We live in midcoast Maine and have a large open floor plan. House is approx 2500 square feet. I have a jotul in an outbuilding and love it. I would need left hand opening for side loading stove. I have come up with the hearthstone manchester and the PE T6 and the jotul carrabesset. I do not like the looks of the jotul but like the idea of a proven winner that is low hassle and unlikely to have issues. I like the hearthstone but there is a thread on this forum discussing issues with the side loading door of the manchester. I had a T5 in a different house and loved the stove but like to cut my sticks long. The T6 looks like it can only hold 18 to 20 inch sticks. My gut is pushing me towards the hearthstone but I worry about long term quality and hassle with things breaking. There customer service also sounds like an issue and I really hate having to fight for service.

I suppose the other option is to fix the top panel of the VC stove but I also need to replace the catalyst and we have probably been guilty of overfiring the stove. The top panel is approx 550$ and I worry what other things are going on the stove. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated????

I really like the PE T6, modern technology stove with an older school skin, the convective jacket / cook top with large viewing glass makes it pop, lots of very happy t6 owners on this site.

Reactions: bcrtops
T5 owner here and couldn't be happier with it. Wish I'd started out with one.

Reactions: bcrtops
Manchester owner here. Just got it installed. Great looking stove. Only had a few fires so I’m no expert. I researched a bunch. Kind of gets overwhelming. I had seen the negative stuff on the side door also. I’m hopeful that was a while ago and all has been resolved now. Plus I feel pretty good about my dealer support.

Also. I was limited to rear vent.

Manchester can take splits up to 24”. Downside is it can’t take much front to back. However the narrower fire box is due to the stove not being really deep. This was good for us since we didn’t want the stove taking up too much of the family room. I do like the side load.

It's hard to beat the simplicity of a basic steel non-cat stove. The Jotul F55 or the PE T6 are both great, simple steel stoves with a cast iron jacket. Both are happiest with 18" wood. Another stove in this group is the Quadrafire Explorer III. The Manchester is a little more complicated with two doors. Early units had issues with the side door, but reports are that this has been fixed. The hearth needs to extend 16" past the side door. It is still much less complex than the Defiant. The Manchester is a true cast iron stove and will radiate more heat from the sides like the Defiant. It is an E/W loader primarily. The F55 and T6 are N/S and E/W with square fireboxes.

Any thoughts on how the Manchester will hold up. I like to keep things simple. I have the perception the T6 will hold up better with less things breaking. The less complicated the less things there are to break. In addition we have a busy young family and we tend to be pretty hard on our stuff despite our best efforts.

Any thoughts on how the Manchester will hold up. I like to keep things simple. I have the perception the T6 will hold up better with less things breaking. The less complicated the less things there are to break. In addition we have a busy young family and we tend to be pretty hard on our stuff despite our best efforts.
@webby3650 sees more of Manchesters in the field than I ever will. I'll let he and other Manchester owners answer that question.

Regardless of stove choice use a timer :ZZZwhenever you load a fresh charge of fuel. It's too easy with a busy family to get distracted and space out turning down the stove. And of course, by now you should have at least 3 cords of good dry wood already stacked or in the shed.

PE Summit here, couldn't be happier. Similar to the T6 I believe

PE Summit here, couldn't be happier. Similar to the T6 I believe
Identical firebox, but with a steel cabinet instead of the cast iron jacket.