Advice for my Enviro M55 FS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KevinQ32

Feb 3, 2019
Baltimore, MD
I had an Enviro M55 FS installed in my house. I've burned almost a ton of pellets and really tried to get my settings dialed in during this time but I haven't had any luck. I feel like the main problem is lack of air, does this unit come with an under powered combustion blower? I'm constantly having unburned pellets getting pushed into the ash bucket and my window gets black at the top. I've been diligent with my daily and weekly cleaning. I'm usually running the stove on heat setting 3, feed trim 1, combustion air 5, feed auger cover as closed as it can be. and slide damper wide open. I'm burning Energex hardwood premium pellets. No matter how I change my set up I always have a lazy/dirty looking flame.

Does anyone have any advice. Also, does anyone know a good Enviro technician anywhere between Baltimore, MD or York, PA? I'm not thrilled with my installers, they canceled on me like 4 times and didn't seem to be as knowledgeable as I hoped on the product. I ordered this stove in August and it did get installed until mid December. Thanks for any help!

Kevin

How tight is your home ?
Is there an OAK installed
You have burnt a ton of pellets have you done a full stove cleaning ?
Have you cleaned the chimney ?
Simple questions but we need to know
There are very knowledgeable Enviro people here who can help
Welcome to the forum

Sorry, I should have shared more information. A new outside air intake was installed, along with a new chimney liner. I have been fighting a lazy flame from the first bag of pellets. As far as I know my home is sealed up pretty well. I have SIPs insulation and paella windows and doors.

I was going to call the chimney company who installed it to do a cleaning as I approached 1 ton however, I would kind of like to try another company if they're more knowledgable on the subject. I don't believe my installer used a mag gauge during the install.

Look at page 10 to see how to increase the combustion blower speed.

Thanks Johneh and Conn. Yankee. My flame has always looked like the Example of a fire with not enough air from page 55. I have the combustion blower speed turned all the way up.

Have you tried some different pellets? When I first bought my m55 I was burning whatever Lowe’s had. I had very inconsistent and often incomplete burns. I fussed with the combustion trim, slowed feed rate, played with pellet type settings. Just couldn’t get a great flame or burn.

I switched to Idaho Supreme pellets which are pricier than what the big boxes carry. All fir pellets.

Problem solved. Been burning Idaho supremes for over 5-6 years now.

Don't know if they're available in your area, but my dealer sells Okanagan Douglas Fir, and they seem to do pretty well.

can you see your whole OAK. maybe it's plugged, or they might have kinked it to much on install. Is it a 4" OAK. Like the others said, different pellets.

You don't mention setting the draft, believe your stove and my Maxx-M should be similar burn mechanisms. On Maxx-M there is a slide-gate across the output vent, this determines amount of combustion air - there is no other control for that though. I tend to adjust it for each pellet and then only touch it when changing feed by a lot.

As for pellets dropping they will still burn and add heat but agree it's annoying. I added a piece of metal across the gap from burn pot to chute and it helped, see pic. Extra points if you guess what I used ;).

burnpot_mod.JPG

I also find some pellets are more disciplined/better dancers than others.

Good luck,
- Jeff