Advice needed for bottom plate on chimney reline.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I am preparing to reline a 9x13 clay tile chimney and need some advice on the bottom plate to connect to black stove pipe. Chimney run is approximately 35' exterior brick runs from roof top to basement. My basement has a cinder block alcove with a poured concrete ceiling (Hearth in family room above) my insulated liner will will run strait down to the basement where the stove will sit. What will I need to convert from liner to stove pipe? Also will it need to be secured to the ceiling?

If everything in all directions is non-combustible, then one option would be to transition to stainless rigid and connect that to the stove. If the stove is rear exit, then the liner could transition to a tee with the snout connecting to the stove.

Where does the tile flue terminate? I’m picturing it ending at the basement ceiling?

Where does the tile flue terminate? I’m picturing it ending at the basement ceiling?
Yes it end in the basement ceiling currently sealed with plywood . Eventually I would like to finish the basement so not really want exposed flex and the stove will be 3 foot or so to the right side of the chimney run. I am considering 5.5" liner because of the clay tile size.