Advice needed - new build casita in NM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CPK

Sep 15, 2022
NM
We are building an 800sqft guest house in NM and putting in a wood stove instead of a traditional kiva fireplace. It will also have underfloor heating. We are considering the VC Intrepid or Dauntless, Morso 711 0, and Alderlea T4. We are looking for ease of use for visitors as well as function and looks. We would very much appreciate any advice from the experts.

For ease of use stick with the T4 or 7110.

Thank you for that. Even with the (newer) line of VC stoves they are still not in favor at all on this site. I’ve read the posts about warranty and service issues in previous years. Also, are they that much more difficult to use? I’ve been watching Youtube videos on each of them and I’m wondering why VC are so out of favor. Would love your input.

Thank you for that. Even with the (newer) line of VC stoves they are still not in favor at all on this site. I’ve read the posts about warranty and service issues in previous years. Also, are they that much more difficult to use? I’ve been watching Youtube videos on each of them and I’m wondering why VC are so out of favor. Would love your input.
Part of it simply comes down to reputation. There were decades of simply bad stoves with horrible support. Things absolutely have gotten much better with the new ownership with regards to support. And the stoves have improved as well. But they are still very complicated with lots of expensive parts that do fail.