Advice needed on heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob17

Sep 14, 2008
UK
Hi Guys,

I've just come across this site while trying to find out some information on wood burning stoves. It seems I've stumbled across the experts here, with a wealth of information available. I've searched the site, but can't quite find what I'm looking for, so hopefully you can help.

I want to have an 'insert' type stove installed in my living room. Main contenders so far are the Scan DSA 3-5, and the Morso 5660, but I'm also considering Jotul & Saey stoves. Using online calculators to work out the heating requirement, I have a figure of 4Kw. If the stoves rating is 3-8Kw, and I'm burning at the lower end of the scale, will it still be running effeciently? I'm assuming that it's just a case of using less fuel, but am concerned that doing so will impair the performance, and possibly damage the chimney & stove (chimney will be fitted with steel liner).

I've also noticed that some stoves have fans fitted to aid combustion and circulation of air, but others don't. I'm tempted to get one without, as I don't much fancy sitting listening to a whirring fan, but are they really audible, and would I be better advised to have a fan model?

Finally, knowing nothing about stoves, are the manufacturers I've suggested any good, or can anyone suggest an alternative?

Any advice or guidance gratefully received, as I'm totally new to world of stoves.

Thanks

I think it would be ok You mite have to clean your flue a few times a year. If you could burn at more then half capacity you should be good. You would have to watch your flue temp. I like to burn at 3/4 capacity @ 25 degs so you have some extra heat for real cold days or a fast warm up . I like to have three sizes of wood 16" 20" 25" I burn the 16" wood in the spring and fall 20" in the winter ( day time ) at about 25degs and the 25" for over night. When i scrounge wood thats been cut it allways smaller rounds most people cant deal with 25 " logs they are a pain to split even with a gas splitter . A smaller stove would be cheaper and it mite burn less wood . but you could leave a window open if it gets to hot

Rob17 said:
Hi Guys,

I've just come across this site while trying to find out some information on wood burning stoves. It seems I've stumbled across the experts here, with a wealth of information available. I've searched the site, but can't quite find what I'm looking for, so hopefully you can help.

I want to have an 'insert' type stove installed in my living room. Main contenders so far are the Scan DSA 3-5, and the Morso 5660, but I'm also considering Jotul & Saey stoves. Using online calculators to work out the heating requirement, I have a figure of 4Kw. If the stoves rating is 3-8Kw, and I'm burning at the lower end of the scale, will it still be running effeciently? I'm assuming that it's just a case of using less fuel, but am concerned that doing so will impair the performance, and possibly damage the chimney & stove (chimney will be fitted with steel liner).

If you burn smaller 3 split loads hot as a full load, your not flooding the room/home with the length of heat as a full load, and its the same efficiency & creosote is not a problem. Keep in mind most the time creosote is caused more times by burning wet wood, mix burning at a lower rate with the wet wood and there is your problem. I have a large insert. In the shoulder seasons I can burn 3 splits, have it burning at 600 degrees F, sorry don't know metric, and never a problem. During the colder months I load her up full and still burn at about 600. Now mind you, 3 splits does not last as long as a full load. I always suggest going a lil bigger than you think you need, cause if you get a few ice age type days, you have the extra stove to do the job. If its too small, then at full capacity, if its not doing the job, you have no more heat to get. On my particular insert, I get it up to temp, cut the intake air all the way down to low and let it cruise. Results in about a mason jar of ash & soot at cleaning time, long burn times and have the heat when I need it. Smaller loads afford you to not heat yourself out of the home.

I've also noticed that some stoves have fans fitted to aid combustion and circulation of air, but others don't. I'm tempted to get one without, as I don't much fancy sitting listening to a whirring fan, but are they really audible, and would I be better advised to have a fan model?

The blower or fans are for circulating heat. NOT for combustion air intake. Not that I ever have seen. Fans are IMO a must have with an insert. Again when really extreme cold out, the fan helps circulate the heat produced by the insert better. Inserts don't have all side throwing off heat into the room as a free stander does. The fan makes up this difference. The fans on low or medium are nominal for sound. Mine runs on high all season long when burning, yes I turn the TV up a lil louder, but I barely notice the fan anymore. Its a calming white noise for me I guess. Think of it this way, if its hot outside and your driving your car, you roll down the window to cool off some. If its extremely hot out and the air blowing in is not doing the job and you have no A/C or fan for it, then what? Same difference with the insert fan. You could always buy an insert that has one as an available option, wait till later to decide whether you want/need the fan. And then buy it and install later if you feel you need it. They really do circulate the heat much better.

Finally, knowing nothing about stoves, are the manufacturers I've suggested any good, or can anyone suggest an alternative?

Morso & Jotul both have been praised on here many times. The other two I myself know even less about, but have seen them mentioned on here and not in bad ways. So sounds like your ok with any of the ones listed. Don't forget to visit the reviews section of the site. Go to dealers and see them up front & close.

Any advice or guidance gratefully received, as I'm totally new to world of stoves.

Take your time, research, and make a list of what you want & need in/from the insert. Then pick 3 that are closest at matching your needs. Then narrow it to one from there. One of the main needs I had was a fan/blower that was variable speed, so I could adjust it when I wanted to. It is also manual on/off, and temp on/off, I use manual, but temp is good during the shoulder seasons to keep from overheating the room. This can be a very wise investment with the bonus of sitting, watching & enjoying the fire that is also saving you mucho cash! Take your time, make an informed decision, and do it right the first time.

Welcome to hearth, lots of good folks & info here.
Thanks

I'm a 2 fingered typing machine ;)

Actually putting off going to work on the addition.
Calling for 90's & humid here today. I don't care for that.

^^ What hog said. His two fingers are working great this morning. My 2 pence worth is go ahead and spring for the fan upfront, because installing it later might be something of a bother. You can always turn it off if you don't want it running, but you can't turn it on if it's not there. I use the blower regularly on a freestanding stove, I can't imagine an insert without one. Rick

Rick brings up a good point, some inserts can be a real PITA to try an install the blower after installation. May require pulling the insert.
Make your choice wisely.

Thankyou all for your responses and advice, in particular Hogwildz for your considered reply. Great to have some advice from someone who actually knows, and lives with a stove of this type, rather than relying on sales advice. I'll go away and do a bit more research on what's available, and come back and post again when I've decided. Think I will go for the fan option if I can get one in the right size, as you all make a good point about it being better to have it and not use use it, than wish it was there if I need it.

Many thanks

Rob

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.