Advice needed on new build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dpregs

Nov 20, 2007
Southeastern CT
Hey everyone,
I am about to embark on having a 16x30' shed(?) built. The walls are going to be 10' high and it is going to be wide open on the inside. Before my builder puts on the roof I want to put a collar(?) in so that when I do get a stove, the collar is already there. I don't have a stove yet, and I don't know its exact placement. Is it possible to future proof by adding this before the roof goes in, or should I wait. And if now, what size and is placement critical?

thank you for any and all help!

Check with your insurance company about wood stove in a non dwelling unit if you are in a heavily code enforced area. Some will not cover it. (that is if you are insuring the building).

This would be a good time to rough out a layout for the building interior and figure out where major items like storage, work areas, toys, etc. will be located. Then figure out the traffic flow and try to pick out a location where the stove will not interrupt or be in the way of traffic flow. If the stove will be a modern EPA unit, pick out a roughly a 6'x 6' area for the stove. That is probably overkill, but this is just a draft location. It can be refined if you decide on the stove now. That will allow for exact measurement. Otherwise the measurement will be approximate. If approximate there is a likelihood an offset will be needed in the stove pipe. That's not the end of the world if needed. The chimney pipe will need to be supported. There are options. It can be either roof supported with brackets or a cathedral ceiling support box or box-framed in for a ceiling support box.

I already know where I plan to put the stove, the back corner of the structure. So, as long as a bend in the pipe is okay, I think I should be able to put the roof collar in the right place. I will call the insurance company, that is a great idea.

An offset using 30º or 45º elbows is ok.

So I am at that point that the barn is constructed, but the shingles aren't on yet. I know where the stove is going to go, but I have a few questions. I drew up a little drawing with a few questions on it. Any advice is greatly appreciated! You can tell me anything, even if you're crazy, not even close, looks good, stupid idea. I have thick skin!

Thank you all!

Attachments

• 20171107_091942.jpg
    20171107_091942.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 71
Are you doing the bend inside the building because you don’t want to see much stove pipe out the top of the roof? Seems like straight through the roof would make your stove breathe a lot easier.

Yes inside the building. I want the stove in the corner, but I don't want 6 feet of pipe outside roof. Code is 3' above peak 2' above anything within 10' (which honestly makes no sense to me)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd put the pipe straight through the roof and just have a bunch of pipe outside. Its a shop/garage man. It looks fine on homes, let alone garages.

How do you plan on annually cleaning out that section of interior piping?

To me, that is a total waste of time and extra pipe. Double walled pipe isn't cheap either.