Advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Waltee

Nov 20, 2023
Michigan
Digging right into it! My current set up is a fire place and obviously puts out zero heat! So I bought an old lopi insert that fits perfectly into the hole! Issue is my clay liner is 12”x8” and my flu outlet on the wood stove is 8”. So if I knock out the clays will there be enough room for a 8” flex liner with insulation?? Or do I need to hull this beast out of my basement and find a 6” insert?? Thanks I’m advanced

IMG_0646.jpeg IMG_0644.jpeg IMG_0436.png

Digging right into it! My current set up is a fire place and obviously puts out zero heat! So I bought an old lopi insert that fits perfectly into the hole! Issue is my clay liner is 12”x8” and my flu outlet on the wood stove is 8”. So if I knock out the clays will there be enough room for a 8” flex liner with insulation?? Or do I need to hull this beast out of my basement and find a 6” insert?? Thanks I’m advanced

View attachment 319045 View attachment 319046 View attachment 319047
Only if you go with an oval liner

Reactions: Waltee
Think I would to still need to knock the clays out with a square liner?? Would a square short adaptor from the insert the clay liner be enough or would I need to run square liner all the way up?

Think I would to still need to knock the clays out with a square liner?? Would a square short adaptor from the insert the clay liner be enough or would I need to run square liner all the way up?
Do oval not rectangle and I don't know if you will have room for an 8" equivalent oval with insulation or not in your chimney without being there. And yes you need a full liner.

how tall is the chimney? If its greater then 20ft from the top of the fire box you may be able to get away with the oval liner one size smaller then the 8" but still larger then the 6" which will make installation a bit easier, also with the slightly smaller one you can wrap it or have it prewrapped with insulation which is added protection incase you ever have a chimney fire, dont forget the anchor plate, cap along with the insert collar adapter which will allow you to attach the liner from inside the insert while its in place (way easier)

Reactions: Waltee
So unfortunately talking to a chimney company he is having a very hard time finding a oval liner. Any chance I can get a 8” liner and kinda oval it myself 😅?!

Any suggestions on who sells oval liners?
Rockford Chimney sells them.
If this chimney is a straight shot down with no offsets then the DuraVent Duraliner system would also work. It is available in 6" oval and is preinsulated.