Advice on gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteQuad

Aug 4, 2008
Near Charlotte, NC
So, last year I did a bunch of research, as I'd been trying to figure out what to do with my fireplace. It is a large fireplace with a chimney, originally used as a wood fireplace, but the last owners put a useless ventless gas log thing in it, which I never use and which doesn't look great either. I liked the idea of just converting it back, but my wife is set on doing gas, so I built a fire pit outside to sooth my fireburning needs, and agreed we'd do gas. I settled on the idea of a natural gas direct vent insert. I figured I'd vent up the chimney.

I then did a bunch of research on which brands to choose, but when I went to actually buy one, it became very difficult. I could only find one dealer near me and they sold only 1 or 2 brands. One of the brands was Mendota, which seemed decent, and I was willing to buy the D-40 but he had some issue with his installer, and after trying to purchase it a few times and them putting us off, I gave up and stopped calling them to bug them.

So I'm picking this up again and am going to try to buy one again. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on these items:
1. Anyone know of a good installer/retailer near Charlotte NC?
2. Any gotchas or good things to know about getting a gas insert, and the way I planned to get it installed?
3. Any thoughts on Mendota, assuming I end up having to try the same retailer again, since I can't find any others?

Thanks!

Mendota is a top-top brand...I have used them and sold them (in my old store) with great results.
I think, in your case, it is going to be more of a dealer problem......maybe you could find another installer and just buy from him? Many mechanical contractor HVAC types should easily be able to complete an installation like this.

Thanks for moving my thread to the appropriate place.

I didn't think about checking with an HVAC installer. I will also look around the yellow pages to see if I can just find an installer.

Have you tried going to Medota's website? They should have a dealer locator on it with several options of who to buy from.

If that doesn't work, then I'd look at one of the other hearth mfg's.

Good Luck.

I did, they have about 3 options in my area - strangely they are all chain stores with the same name as the one I went to. If the one I tried previously doesn't work out, I guess I could try one of the others further away. Are there any other brands you would recommend me checking out? I was interested in the Jackson XL from Kozy Heat at one point, but there are no dealers near Charlotte.

Jotul has some killer direct vent inserts, with some pretty cool face options. When someone asks me about buying a Jotul, I refer to how many Warranty claims I put in to Jotul. Not sure of numbers, but a fraction of other manufacturers. I don't work for jotul, but I sell them because they are a very good product.

Status
Not open for further replies.