Advice on installing a Jotul Combi 4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clumpo

Sep 28, 2020
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and woodstoves in general but very comfortable with fire as I am a potter and have built many kilns in my day. I recently bought a used Jotul Combi 4 and it appears in excellent shape inside and out. My current thinking is to explore installing it in our living room that has a existing masonry Rumford style fireplace. For the uninitiated, these have very shallow firebox areas with a forward sloped rear wall and narrow undampered (in this case) rectangular flue opening into the chimney which opens wide again to create what I believe is a venturi style draft. Truthfully this fireplace was always difficult to get drawing well unless the fire was banked vertically to the rear wall.

Looking for advice about installation and in particular I'm wondering if it is even possible because the rear exit vent/damper on the stove is higher than the horizontal lintel of the fireplace. My hope was to run a straight line out and then an elbow fittings downward and then back to the chimney to make clearance before running up the flue. My thought was that the draw of the chimney would solve and concerns about draft but want to ask the pros if they see this as a poor path to follow. I happen to love the modernist look of the stove and the main source of my wish to "make it work"

Grateful for any and all opinions.

Thanks,
Dave

Smoke does not like to go down. This will not work well at all. Stove pipe should always be pitched upward toward the chimney. Horizontal runs should be pitched up at least 1/4" per foot. It might be possible to elbow up out of the stove and then tap into the chimney above, depending on the setup and combustible clearances.