Advice on pending installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vocjuved

Dec 9, 2019
Lewiston, ID
Good Morning,

Permies recommended that I ask my questions here. I am taking a two year old stove and placing it into our home. It has the shroud on the back and sides. I plan on cutting a hole in the wall and build an alcove for the stove. The sides and back will be installed to stove combustible clearances. The ceiling of the alcove will be 24" above the stove top, making it too close to combustibles to meet code. I plan on framing in the alcove with steel studs, screw 1/2" Hardieboard onto the studs, and back it with mineral wool batts. The connector will exit the box through a thimble into triple wall pipe on up through the roof. I will use a rock or brick facing with mortar on the inside of the alcove. The stove will need to be 7" out of the alcove due to the ceiling joist would be in the way. I will add a wood mantel above the opening.

I ran this plan by an architect friend, and he thinks it will be fine, but I am wanting to get all the possible pitfalls figured out before I open up the wall, since it will be cold and no turning back!

My neighbor did something similar, so I intend to follow his idea, which is the picture attached. The difference is my stove is freestanding, but the idea is the same.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 112
A free-standing stove will have tighter requirements. It is not designed like the neighbor's zero-clearance fireplace. Your idea might work, but we need more details. What stove make and model is this for?

Consider using double-wall chimney pipe instead. It is higher quality and requires a smaller diameter hole.

I don't see an exception granted in the docs for a non-combustible ceiling. It states that the alcove must have an 84" ceiling. Also, no mantel clearances are listed in the documentation. Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if this plan is acceptable?

I don't see an exception granted in the docs for a non-combustible ceiling. It states that the alcove must have an 84" ceiling. Also, no mantel clearances are listed in the documentation. Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if this plan is acceptable?
No I haven't. I have a call into our local city inspector. I will follow his lead since he must approve of the install. I will supply him with the stove docs, and proceed from there. As I mentioned, I spoke with a architect, who felt the plan was solid. I am trying to make my wife and the inspector happy. Hopefully, I can do both. ; )

No I haven't. I have a call into our local city inspector. I will follow his lead since he must approve of the install. I will supply him with the stove docs, and proceed from there. As I mentioned, I spoke with a architect, who felt the plan was solid. I am trying to make my wife and the inspector happy. Hopefully, I can do both. ; )
Call the manufacturer. They are the only ones that can tell you what is safe

Some years back another poster had a similar design. From what I recall there were only a few stoves that had workable solutions in their documentation. Call Heatilator support. If they say no, that is the final word.

Take a look at the Quadrafire 2100 Millenium. It has a lower alcove height. See if this works for the design.
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.16.58 PM.png

Ecochoice will not waiver from the combustible chart I attached above, even though it will be a noncombustible installation. I will have to rethink my idea. My wife wants a mantel, and an open space wont allow for that.

If you are trying to keep costs down, the Flame Monaco and the Valcourt Lafayette are a good value.