Advice on Upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pspinicchia

Feb 25, 2011
SE Michigan
Hello to all. This is my first post on any type of forum and want to say that I have really been enjoying reading all the good info on this site.

OK, on to the meat and potato's. I have been heating my 2000 square foot home with a Forester insert that I bought used 20 yrs ago for $400. It has been a real work horse and heats the house well. It provides 90% of our heat. We are still on the same tank of propane from last Sept. :) Consequently, it eats all the wood I can stuff into it and I am lucky if I get 4-5 hours of good heat out of it. No glass wash is also a pain.

I am looking at getting something new and have narrowed it down to the 3 inserts that are mentioned in this thread. Clydesdale , Lopi freedom or freedom bay and the Regency 3100. My wife and I really like the Clydesdale but I am concerned that the heat output will not be enough . I really like the feature of the upper damper on the Lopi because my forester has this and you can really control the draft well. I am sure the 3100 will do the job but it is very similar in looks to my Forester and I we would like a change. Especially for the amount of money we are going to have to drop down. Any thoughts and opinions on any of these models would be greatly appreciated.

I realize that a newer insert will not save me much money as far as heating cost because my current stove does that. I am just looking for longer burn times and possibly using less wood. We have burned about 8 face cords so far this season and will most likely go though another 2.

Thanks and stay warm

Can't contribute experience with any of the three but I can tell that the damper on that Lopi ain't nothing like the one you are used to on the Forrester. The one on the Lopi is an all open or all closed thing used to bypass straight up the chimney until the wood is burning well and for keeping you from getting a face full of smoke when you open the stove door. Not for controlling chimney draft like your old one.

Welcome to hearth.com.

With the clydesdale I've noticed about 6-7 hours of good heat from it in the coldest weather we've had here in Virginia (high 20 days, mid teen nights) which is probably what you would normally see in Michigan. In those temps I reload about every 6-8 hours to keep my 2400 sq. ft. house warm (70's throughout). Most days (low 40's in the day and high 20's at night) I load once in the morning, throw a few small splits in when I get home from work 10 hours later, and again before bed. For burn time I've let it go 14 hours and still had plenty of coals for a restart without kindling. Your house may be better insulated so you may be able to get a longer time between reloads.

For me, I wouldn't want any other insert. I am very pleased with the performance and looks of this thing.

I'd def. go with the Lopi Freedom, or it's cousin, the Avalon Olympic. Travis Industries (parent company of Avalon/Lopi/FireplaceX) makes some very high quality stoves. If your fireplace is masonry (not pre-fab/zero-clearance), I would also suggest checking out the flush-fitting Lopi Declaration/Avalon Perfect-Fit/FireplaceX 33 elite, especially if you prefer the flush-fitting fireplace look over the stove-sticking-out-of-fireplace look. ;)

Good luck!

As someone who sells Hearthstone and Regency:
As much as I love the Clydesdale for its style and sweet smooth heat, you may want to go with the Regency for the higher heat output. If you want a change of style and like the damper idea of the Lopi, go that route. With a 3.1 cubic foot firebox, you'll get the heat, burn time, control and style you want.

Freedom Bay it is. Now go get it installed so you can play with it during the shoulder season.

If burn time is your only criteria you may also want to look at the blaze king princess inserts.

Miser said:
Hello to all. This is my first post on any type of forum and want to say that I have really been enjoying reading all the good info on this site.

OK, on to the meat and potato's. I have been heating my 2000 square foot home with a Forester insert that I bought used 20 yrs ago for $400. It has been a real work horse and heats the house well. It provides 90% of our heat. We are still on the same tank of propane from last Sept. :) Consequently, it eats all the wood I can stuff into it and I am lucky if I get 4-5 hours of good heat out of it. No glass wash is also a pain.

Welcome to the forum Miser.

Before I would consider a new heating unit, I'd look very closely at your fuel supply. You state you get 4-5 hours of good heat and no glass wash is a pain. So, the glass is a bit black... Many folks have the same thing. This very well may not be the fault of the stove!

I'll state my recommendation again. You should have a 2-3 year wood supply on hand at all times. We find most folks think about their fuel last. It should be the other way around. This means right now you should have your wood put up through 2014. Yes, that can be a lot of wood but the benefits are worth the effort and expense of getting that wood ahead of time. All wood has moisture and somehow we have to get rid of a good amount of that moisture. Not all of it, but most of it. If one cuts, splits and stacks their wood for a minimum of 2-3 years (I like 3), then they will find they use less wood for the same amount of heat and won't have the black glass nor the chimney problems.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.