advice on wood burning insert model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jojobaby

Sep 25, 2023
Delco PA
We have a big fireplace with a very old gas log set that we'd like to replace with a wood burning insert. I'm overwhelmed by all the models and wonder if y'all could recommend a unit that ....
- has a large area to view the fire
- is reliable/works well
- is large - we have a big fireplace and I don't love the look of lots of black backing to cover the dead space.

Size of fireplace: W 48", H 32", D 22"
Thanks so much for any thought on this!

image_50456065.JPG

It looks large enough to put a freestanding stove in there. Regardless of choice, the main issue will be the clearance to the mantel. It looks like there is about 40" from the floor to the bottom edge of the mantel. This install may require a mantel shield to be added.

Take a look at the large Lopi NexGen insert and the Regency i2700 for starters.

It looks large enough to put a freestanding stove in there. Regardless of choice, the main issue will be the clearance to the mantel. It looks like there is about 40" from the floor to the bottom edge of the mantel. This install may require a mantel shield to be added.

Take a look at the large Lopi NexGen insert and the Regency i2700 for starters.
You're good! It's exactly 40" from the the floor to the mantel. I'll look into a mental shield - I haven't heard of that yet!

This question will show my ignorance ... A free standing stove would just be placed in the fireplace cavity and not have the black metal backing that I was complaining about? Is there any other advantage or disadvantage to a freestanding stove vs an insert?
Thanks so much!

The backing is called a surround panel. Some inserts can be ordered without it. That would also work.

An insert is more likely to have the mantel clearance requirements in the docs. That makes it easier to comply with. Only a few freestanding stoves have this specced out.

The backing is called a surround panel. Some inserts can be ordered without it. That would also work.

An insert is more likely to have the mantel clearance requirements in the docs. That makes it easier to comply with. Only a few freestanding stoves have this specced out.
Thank you!