Advice wanted for used Regency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomBoz

Jun 20, 2014
McKinleyville, Ca
I'm new to this forum and also to wood stoves. But I've been all over the internet researching and have been getting ready to buy a new stove when I came across a used Regency. It has an EPA July 1990 particulate emission standard sticker and I think it is model RA7. I can read part of the serial #, WH-8234??, and also "model small regency freestanding (R5/R7/RA7)".
Can anyone tell me much about this stove? Is it efficient? Is it compliant to newer codes? Will it heat my 1150 sq ft home (SoCal Coastal, it gets below freezing maybe a dozen times a year in the middle of the night). He wants 350.00 for it, seems like a good deal? It needs several fire bricks, clips to hold in the glass, and door seal rope, are these parts available? What might be the burn time or the BTUs? It has a tube with holes in it, so is this a newer design?
Thanks,
ThomBoz

I'm new to this forum and also to wood stoves. But I've been all over the internet researching and have been getting ready to buy a new stove when I came across a used Regency. It has an EPA July 1990 particulate emission standard sticker and I think it is model RA7. I can read part of the serial #, WH-8234??, and also "model small regency freestanding (R5/R7/RA7)".
Can anyone tell me much about this stove? Is it efficient? Is it compliant to newer codes? Will it heat my 1150 sq ft home (SoCal Coastal, it gets below freezing maybe a dozen times a year in the middle of the night). He wants 350.00 for it, seems like a good deal? It needs several fire bricks, clips to hold in the glass, and door seal rope, are these parts available? What might be the burn time or the BTUs? It has a tube with holes in it, so is this a newer design?
Thanks,
ThomBoz

ThomBoz;
I have an older one of approximately the same size. My house is a small two story, about 600 ft. sq. on the main floor. If I stoke the stove fully it heats the entire house up to 90 degrees even on cold winter days. With the leaks it is hard to keep the heat down. Fully stoked it lasts 2-4 hours. I need to replace the front glass and gaskets and am having a dickens of a time getting help from Regency dealers up here in Alaska. I expect that once I replace the broken firebrick and leaky door parts I should get 4-6 hours out of one load.

This is an early Phase I EPA tested stove. Not the cleanest burner at 8.3 gm/hr, but better than many earlier units. Should do ok as a chill chaser in your region. Small firebox will mean that overnight fires are unlikely but that may not matter much it the goal is for a nice fire on nights and weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.