Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdphillips73

Jul 24, 2008
memphis tn
We just left the local wood stove dealer and was offered the IronStrike C160 wood stove (heats 600-1300 sq. feet) to put in our fireplace. The salesman was knowledgeable and the price was about 1400 dollars plus 9.5% tax.

We are looking to put a wood stove in our existing prefab fireplace. Our dimensions are 42" Wide x 27" tall x 20" deep (plus an additional 18" ledge in front of the fireplace. The fireplace is located downstairs in a walkout basement that stays in the mid/high-60's temperature year-round. It is about 900 sq. ft downstairs and 1600sq ft upstairs. The house has central heating up and downstairs.

My wife wants a stove that would allow her to put a pot or two on top to cook on in case we had too, I want one that has a nice look with as large as possible fireview door and accepts wood in the 18-21 inch length range. Any suggestions on models that I should look at, I'd like to save money on the price I was quoted as well.

Thanks,
JD

I agree with you - large firebox volume is very important because firebox size correlates with burn time, and long burn time is one the best features a stove can have. I also agree about a big window to see the fire, since you'll use that all the time. I wouldn't focus on the length of wood that will fit; it isn't that big a deal to cut your firewood down to size, and you can in the future get any length you need.

I like the idea of putting pots on the stove, but you will probably never do that, so it shouldn't be a big factor in your decision if you ask me, and you did ask.

I agree with you - large firebox volume is very important because firebox size correlates with burn time, and long burn time is one the best features a stove can have. I also agree about a big window to see the fire, since you'll use that all the time. I wouldn't focus on the length of wood that will fit; it isn't that big a deal to cut your firewood down to size, and you can in the future get any length you need.

I like the idea of putting pots on the stove, but you will probably never do that, so it shouldn't be a big factor in your decision if you ask me, and you did ask.
Any recommendation on potential models to look at?

Is your fireplace masonry or zero clearance?

Is your fireplace masonry or zero clearance?
It is not masonry. the exact dimensions are listed in original post. Its one of those 'prefab' fireplaces. Im not sure if thats zero clearance or not. The folks at the wood stove store said they would run a flexable pipe inside of the metal pipe I currently have to vent it.

However, the wall surrounding the fireplace is stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.