AHHHHH!!!!!! What do I DO???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it don't leak your good to go. Next spring and summer check the muck at the top you put over everything. Without fabric, much tends to crack from the metal expansion & contraction, as the muck will stiffen over time.
If it cracks water can get under and damn up. Might never happen. Just keep an eye on it.

You can add all the muck you want its going to leak. With in a years time the muck will dry out and crack from the heat of the roof shingls and in high winds thaat stack will move . I would fix this before you have problems. The old man use to tell me a couple drops of water in side in a wood strucksure not good. Find your self a roofer and have that flashing installed the right way.

HotCoals said:
Oklaguy77 said:
HotCoals said:
Maybe I'm wrong..but I think he just cut the hole right through the shingles..never removed any shingles.
I guess you could?

Yep, thats what I did. And under the flashing I "mucked" and "mucked" for a better seal. I felt good about it at the time, but after reading all you guys posts, now I wish I had asked first.
You might be fine.

If you have just one layer and your zoning allows it you could put on a second layer of shingles and cover some of that flashing,like you normally would do when the shingles you have now starts showing wear from curling or whatever.

I only have one layer, so I think you're right, if it doesnt' leak I can wait till its warmer and tear off some shingles and replace correctly overlapping my flashing.

the other thing i would also consider doing is getting the roof brace closer to horizontal than what you have. It will give you allot more stabillity than what you have now.

skinanbones said:
the other thing i would also consider doing is getting the roof brace closer to horizontal than what you have. It will give you allot more stabillity than what you have now.

I would invite you to crawl up on my roof and check the stability, lol
But you are right I would have preferred about a 45° angle, but where I wanted the collar was to high to allow for 45°(with included material) so I settled with what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.