Ain't What She Used To Be (Superior corn furnace needs work)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

denno

Jan 13, 2015
Schoharie County, NY
Greetings again.
I have a Superior Furnace, purchased from what must be the defunct company, Ja-Ran, "several" years ago. 10?
It does not seem to keep the house as warm as it used to.
Currently have a control problem; also what should be a more general question about cleaning and maintenance of the furnace and ducts. Might ought to go to two different places in the forums, which I hope someone will tell me.

Way back I heard from someone else with a Superior, who I hope will show up again (and know exactly what to do!)

Cleaning/maintenance
I know I have to clean the exhaust run from the chamber in the furnace, through six or seven feet of galvanized(?) pipe, and then a couple feet more pipe horizontally through the stone basement wall into the bottom of the chimney. Haven't done this in maybe 4 years. Some of the pipe is decayed and needs to be replaced. And I recall the pipe and especially the bottom of the chimney, which is a little well, had a lot of soot collected in them and it made a big difference in airflow.

What I don't know is should I get all the house ducts cleaned, and would that increase the net heat output?
And is that something I can reasonably do myself (doubt that my shop vac will reach far enough or get enough dustcetera out.)
So should I be looking for some kind of company and how do I tell if they are reasonable and do the job well? (Zero experience.) (Yeah, I know how to Google; and I can ask around. Just would like any opinions and info.)

Controls notso controlling

What I can tell you for sure is the thermostat is not turning the heat up or down.
It is new; new wires too, just for the OCD of it.
Thermostat has to be on for the furnace to light; after that it has no effect.

There's also an upper limit switch (which I think of as a thermocouple) and a maintenance timer that cycles 3 min on and 7 min off when no heat is being called for. And switches for the firepot blower and circulation blower. Dunno what else.
I don't quite have this sort of brain ("Dammit, Jim, I'm a musician, not an electrical engineer!") but what I have never done is chart all the combinations of switches and sensors and situations and see if that indicates which component might not be working right.

Manual is pretty sketchy; though there is a wiring diagram.

I burn corn and wood pellets, about a bag to a bag, and don't have to clean slag or ashes out of the firepot too often as long as I keep the ratio and stir the stuff up. There are no controls for speed of fuel feed, or dampers for firepot air (other than switch settings for "start" --- fan on all the time; and "run" --- fan on when heat is called for, I guess.

And that is about the size of it. All advice and analysis will be appreciated.

TIA,
denno