Air Bubble in Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

30WCF

Minister of Fire
Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
I was cleaning my glass and I suppose this is the first time I’ve noticed this with the light hitting the window just right. There appears to be an air bubble in my window. I can’t feel it from the outside. I can’t get my fingernail to catch anything either.
Probably been there all along I guess. Anything to worry about?
I’ve had this stove cooking at 700-900 STT a few times.

In the last two pics, it looks like a splinter in my fingertip. The first pic has the outside light from the front door being open and making it “glow”.

IMG_3830.jpeg IMG_3828.jpeg IMG_3829.jpeg

Not likely an issue. Ceramic glass can have a lot of inclusions in it without compromising the strength. Takes quite a beating when used form a glass cook stove top, when you think about it. Far worse than any typical use on a woodstove would likely cause.

Reactions: 30WCF
On the other hand, a bubble (while having rounded boundaries, this one looks "shar" tho) will weaken the glass. Safety margins in mechanical properties should be large, but why "use" some of that margin in a production fault.
I've not seen this mentioned before, so it seems to be rare.

I'd ask VC about this. I mean, what's the worst that can happen - they send a new window..?

I sent them a note on their contact page.

They replied and asked for pictures. I sent them more and better pictures than I had posted here.
They said it is not anything to worry about due to its size and location.

Reactions: stoveliker
Okay. I'd say the same :)
The company can always invest (replace the window) when it's needed rather than preventatively now.

Do keep the correspondence, just in the off-chance (very small, likely) that something does happen.

Happy burning!

I’ll keep an eye on it. They did say that it wasn’t an issue since it wasn’t close to the edge. I suppose “close” is a relative word up to interpretation.

IMG_3995.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg