Air Handler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zendiagrams

Dec 29, 2007
Williams, PA
skinner.org
I think this site is great, and hope to be a regular on this forum as I am with others dealing with areas of interest that I am involved with.

I did a search but only came up with posts related to HVAC systems already in place. So either my queries were inadequate or no one has made posts in reference to this.

I am thinking of getting a really small but cost effective air handler, and putting an intake over/near my free standing pellet stove, with some flexible insulated duct work to push the warm air to the 3 bedrooms on the other side of my house. Now the large common area’s are heated well, and with some fans, that heat works it’s way down to the rooms, but not well enough where the electric baseboard heat kicks on,. I am hoping to pump some of that hot air down to the rooms that are at the end of a hall way. I was curious if anyone set up a separate system like this before and how well it worked.

There may be issues with how close an air intake can be to the stove. You should check your manual and the local codes. (I'm not an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt ;-) )

I think most people just use ceiling fans (which also will benefit you in the summer) and/or other fans to help move the air around. This may be the cheapest method.

Stoves are space heaters after all, designed to heat a given space (as opposed to central heating systems designed to heat a whole home).

Having said that, if you do install something, please post some pics and your review of how well it works!

Have you tried taking a fan (table or box fan) placed at the bedroom end of the hallway, set to low speed and blowing *towards* the stove? The idea is to create a thermal loop blowing the cold source air towards the warm stove. Give it a try for a day or two and see if that helps.

Or, if you have ceiling fans, run them ! When we had the bad ice storm a few years back, I have the pellet stove running off a generator. The room it was in was great, but the rest of the house had chilly spots and that surprised us. A quick rewire to allow the ceiling fans to work, and wow, the whole house was comfortable again.

Status
Not open for further replies.