Air Infiltration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dmir

Jan 22, 2020
IL
I have a ~15 year old Heatilator GCDC60 and every winter it feels like I have a window open with the amount of cold air that flows into my house. Is this just the nature of the beast and not much can be done or could there be a damper or something stuck open? I dont think there are any dampers in the(sidewall) flur assembly based on my research but I cannot imagine this system was design to allow this much cold air in (and heat out) of my house. Is it maybe the contractor that built the house just didnt properly insulate the area around the fireplace? ANy input would be much appreciated. Thanks

Is this unit in a "Bumped out" (aka Dog House) type of construction?
Where do you feel the cold air? Bottom? Top?

Is this unit in a "Bumped out" (aka Dog House) type of construction?
Where do you feel the cold air? Bottom? Top?
Yes, it is a "bump out" and cold air mainly at bottom through access, air intake grate.

See if you can remove that grate, or louver. With a flashlight,
look at the walls of the fireplace shell. Anywhere you see a hole thru
that shell, block it with unfaced fiberglass insulation or with aluminum tape.
That bump out is an unheated space, outside of the heated envelope of your home.
Your fireplace is steel & it gets cold. Any air IN that cold cavity will find its way into your home.
I assume you don't have an issue when the unit is burning...

See if you can remove that grate, or louver. With a flashlight,
look at the walls of the fireplace shell. Anywhere you see a hole thru
that shell, block it with unfaced fiberglass insulation or with aluminum tape.
That bump out is an unheated space, outside of the heated envelope of your home.
Your fireplace is steel & it gets cold. Any air IN that cold cavity will find its way into your home.
I assume you don't have an issue when the unit is burning...
Ok, thank you for taking the time to respond. I have already insulated some of the holes and my assumption has always been the bump out was just poor construction. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a damper or another opening that could be stuck open or malfunctioning. Never an issue when heating. Thank you.

Reactions: DAKSY