Air inlets AND a damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razo

Burning Hunk
Jan 8, 2014
NEPA
Hello everyone, first year woodstove owner and I have an All Nighter Mid Mo' I'm getting ready to install. This stove has 2 adjustable screw type air inlets on the front door to control how much air enters the stove.

My question is, should I still install a damper in my stove pipe to further help control the fire or are the adjustable air inlets enough?

By my estimates it will end up being around 20ft

I like a key damper on a pre-EPA stove. Used properly it can stop a lot of heat from heading out the flue.

Reactions: DAKSY
I will put on in then, I guess I can always leave it wide open if i don't need it but it will be nice to have it. I will have to learn what works best. Should I favor the damper or the inlets? Should I experiment with leaving the inlets mostly open and then control the fire mostly with the damper? Or use the inlets as the primary way of controlling the fire and then only use the damper as backeup? Or a mix of both - half open damper with half open inlets? I have a lot of learning to do.

All houses & all installations are different. You will have "Bond" with your stove & learn what works best in your situation. What works well at my house may not work AT ALL in yours. Good Luck with your install!

Status
Not open for further replies.