Air leak thru handle/latch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodcutter Tom

Feeling the Heat
Apr 28, 2019
Northern Illinois
I am trying to stop an air leak I have thru the handle/latch of my 1.2 cubic foot stove. Thru testing I determined that I have an air leak thru the handle. I have had smoke get sucked into the stove thru this area. I can also see into the stove and see flames thru the mechanism. I want to seal this up. It affects the burn pattern in my stove.
Does anyone know of a flat gasket type material that I can cut into a seal for this area? It has to be able to handle high temperatures. I can fit a 1/32" or maybe 1/16" thick material behind the washer in the picture. With a hole cut in the material, I could slide it over the handle, thus having a snug fit and seal. The washer will press the gasket against the door. The material has to be sturdy since the repeated opening and closing of the door will be tough on the gasket. I have done some internet searches and I have seen rockwool sheets but I do not think that material would hold up very long.

If someone has an idea of a thin, sturdy, flat sheet of high temperature material I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20201102_090934.jpg
    20201102_090934.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 112
More than you need, but you'll have PLENTY to share...

Thanks DAKSY. I saw this when I was doing my research. I had two concerns about it.
1. The durability of the material. Have you ever used it? Will it take the continual squeezing and the washer turning on it as the door is opened and closed?
2. The thickness is listed as 1/8". I'll have to look at my stove again when I cool it down to see if I can fit that thick of a piece between the washer and the door. I thought 1/16" was my max.

Not sure of the durability. It was just the first item that popped up in a Google search for wood stove insulation sheets.
You could always try a "tape" gasket, with graphite in it, as that may offer some lubricity.
Pretty sure this stuff will collapse under pressure & the gap won't matter.
For $15, I'd go for it.
Another option might be to find tight fitting washers for the handle shaft.