Air Leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
The ash door on my Jotul F400 has a lot of creosote on it. So does the area where the ash pan sits. I changed the gasket awhile back and I rarely open the door (I let the ashes collect in the pan and clean from the fire box instead). I empty the ashes from the ash pan area after the season ends. The stove is about 12 years old. Any other reason besides a leaking door gasket that might cause this? I will change the gasket again anyway but I was wondering if I should check anything else.

Check the area behind the ash pan carefully with a bright light and a poker. See if compacted ash has built up at the back. This can push the ash pan forward preventing the ash pan door from making a tight seal.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Thanks. I keep the pan pushed all the way back so I don't think ash can get behind it. I ordered a set of gaskets and will see if replacing them makes a difference. I didn't notice any issues with the stove operation last season. It may be a slight leak.

Some ash will fall behind the ash pan. Over time it gets compacted solid. If that area has not been regularly cleaned it's worth doing it now.

Reactions: firefighterjake
My F400 did the same thing and so does my F600. No gasket or cement leaks, correct burning procedures with dry wood. Creosote will build up in the ash pan compartment.

I however do use the ash pan and once in a while, when I notice the build up increasing, I will just clean out the area with a fireproof brush. Of course I will only do this if the stove is out and I am starting from a cold start.

I think it is just the nature of the beast with these particular stoves. Never really been a problem.

After a couple months I stopped using the ash pan and let it fill up to the point where there was an ash bed over the grate. That actually improved the stove performance. The burns were a bit longer and coals lasted overnight for a restart.

After a couple months I stopped using the ash pan and let it fill up to the point where there was an ash bed over the grate. That actually improved the stove performance. The burns were a bit longer and coals lasted overnight for a restart.
Would you ever clean out the ash pan or just leave it closed and shovel ashes from the firebox?

Would you ever clean out the ash pan or just leave it closed and shovel ashes from the firebox?
I just shoveled the ash from the firebox every couple weeks down the grate level, but not below it.