Air poisoning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So I have been running my fires hotter and holding my breath when I load the stove and avoiding the chimney fumes When I’m out side. the bad taste is almost gone. So I’m fairly sure it was the overly moist firewood that I was burning

Reactions: gthomas785
So I have been running my fires hotter and holding my breath when I load the stove and avoiding the chimney fumes When I’m out side. the bad taste is almost gone. So I’m fairly sure it was the overly moist firewood that I was burning

As you have the moisture meter (and one has to play with new tools a bit), get a few splits inside, let them warm up to room temp for about 12-24 hrs, split them and measure with the pins along the grain on the fresh surface and see if indeed it was (too) moist?

Reactions: Rogerwood
As you have the moisture meter (and one has to play with new tools a bit), get a few splits inside, let them warm up to room temp for about 12-24 hrs, split them and measure with the pins along the grain on the fresh surface and see if indeed it was (too) moist?
I am imagining the look on my wife’s face when she finds me swinging a large axe in the basement!

One should not be smelling the fire in the stove indoors regardless of the wood being burned.
Oh crap, I been doing it wrong all these years. Splains a lot...

I am imagining the look on my wife’s face when she finds me swinging a large axe in the basement!

lol. And when you explain the big hole in the ceiling :p

I do this with a wedge and a short heavy hammer (in the garage that is accessible from the basement). But it's ok to take the splits outside for a few minutes to split them there, and then measure them.

Reactions: Rogerwood

lol. It would sure obviate the need for a visit to get a haircut _g

LOL That's what you get for being a bachelor. My wife has a very sensitive nose.

LOL That's what you get for being a bachelor. My wife has a very sensitive nose.
I just can't seem to give up the freedom, peace & quiet.
Bachelorhood has grown on me.

So much heat goes up the flue.... but it all stays in the house if the top of the flue stays in the house!

Fiskars makes a hatchet with a splitting head on it. I have one one my garage. I use it as a hatchet/wedgehammer when felling, and as a splitter to knock a split into little sticks when I need small pieces to fill in the cracks in my load.

I think they call it a "splitting axe" but it's less than 2 feet long and won't make holes in your ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
Huh! I never thought about temp with regard to moisture meters. Thanks!

Do you think the metallic Aste could be due to the vaccine? Both me and my wife got the first shot a few weeks ago. We both had a metallic taste for around 24 hours after. They say that symptoms can be worse after the second shot.

Do you think the metallic Aste could be due to the vaccine? Both me and my wife got the first shot a few weeks ago. We both had a metallic taste for around 24 hours after. They say that symptoms can be worse after the second shot.
I haven’t had the vaccine. So I have no idea

I had the metallic taste . . . and still do to some degree (especially with sugary foods and drinks) well before getting the vaccine.

My sense of smell for wood smoke finally returned to normal 2 months ago. So it sounds like it was a delayed COVID reaction.

It’s soo nice to enjoy the smell of my wood stove again.

Reactions: moresnow and MMH
My sense of smell for wood smoke finally returned to normal 2 months ago. So it sounds like it was a delayed COVID reaction.

It’s soo nice to enjoy the smell of my wood stove again.
When I was sick I took a spoon full of wasabi…just to check lol. Nothin! I’ve since gotten it back also, funny how much we take smell/taste for granted.

• Wow
Reactions: stoveliker