Alderlea T4 or T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JP.Potvin

Nov 5, 2021
Québec
Hi, I'm wondering if I need a Alderlea T4 or a T5 for my new house. I live in Québec city and it's look like I'm between those 2 regarding the spec. Can you help me out please.

I have a single floor house with insulated basement. The Alderlea will base on the main floor (top floor). I have 500ft² of open area and cathedral ceiling (8' to 12') and 600ft² of room at 8ft ceiling. I join my house plan. Thank you for the help

RDC page.pdf
2.14 Mo

Since it us new construction, either stove would work. You will get a longer burn out of the T5 as there is more fuel to burn.

As your bedrooms are furthest away from the stove, they will be cooler, but I think you could keep temperatures fairly consistent with the use of a floor fan blowing the cooler room air out. Your floorplan is fairly open and that leads to easier heating with wood.

How well insulated are the walls? If some convective assistance is added to move some heat into the bedroom area then the T5 is a good fit. Otherwise, the T4 will suffice.

Either stove will heat the main room well. The issue will be getting the heat to the 600 ft (green) area. It will not naturally convect via the narrow hallway. There are a few tricks that could help. A ceiling fan at the 12 ft ceiling peak is a good idea. If there is an hvac system with fully insulated ductwork within the heated envelope of the house then it may be possible to run the system fan to circulate the air. If not, then a fan could be placed at the end of the hallway blowing toward the stove room. Or a ducted system that pulls cold air from the two bedrooms and blows it into the stove room could be installed in the basement.