Alderlea T5 thought dump - 2.5 months later

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How would this stove compare to the Summit Classic? Thanks
Pretty well, they are of the same design. The Summit has a larger belly that can put out more heat over a longer period of time, but the midsized Super firebox used in the T5 is a very good performer.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
How would this stove compare to the Summit Classic? Thanks
Pretty well, I'd think. But up there where you are, and with a bigger house, I'd get the bigger stove. You can still burn it low with a half load..

Pretty well, they are of the same design. The Summit has a larger belly that can put out more heat over a longer period of time, but the midsized Super firebox used in the T5 is a very good performer.
Basically it’s the same stove except for the outer shell and trivet top? Sure looks that way.

T6 and T5 both have the cast iron shell and swing-out trivet top. Only the T5 has the enamel option.
But you could get the Summit big box with enamel sides..

Basically it’s the same stove except for the outer shell and trivet top? Sure looks that way.
The T5 is a Super at heart. The T6 is a Summit at heart. There is a 1 cu ft difference in firebox size between the two.

Gotcha. On the Series D T5, the air from the ash pan housing has to go through the primary air shutter to get to the boost manifold feed tube.
No, I believe. I think the boost air is constant and enters through its own air hole near the front of the ash pan and enters the stove through the bottom front manifold. It's not affected by the primary air shutter. Some people block this with a magnet, I've read if their draft I too strong.

Or I'm misunderstanding what you mean by primary air shutter...

boost air is constant and enters through its own air hole near the front of the ash pan
OK. I thought I looked underneath before, didn't see the bottom of the tube, so assumed it came from the primary air stream.
I'd like to take another look, but I'm not going over there now! !!!