All Nighter Mid Moe, Which Thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
I have an All Nighter Mid Moe, which I have always used a thermometer on the top, which usually maxes out at 400-450 on a good burn. I recently purchased 2 more thermometers for the pipe. I have two 90 degree bends in the pipe, with a damper after the 2nd bend. I found it interesting that after the 1st bend the temp is about 100 degrees lower than the stove top temp. And then after the second bend, after the damper, it's 100-200 degrees cooler landing around 235 which seems too cool. Now has me concerned that I am burning at too low of air levels and too much damper?

Attachments

• IMG_8716.JPG
    IMG_8716.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_8717.JPG
    IMG_8717.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8718.JPG
    IMG_8718.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I have an All Nighter Mid Moe, which I have always used a thermometer on the top, which usually maxes out at 400-450 on a good burn. I recently purchased 2 more thermometers for the pipe. I have two 90 degree bends in the pipe, with a damper after the 2nd bend. I found it interesting that after the 1st bend the temp is about 100 degrees lower than the stove top temp. And then after the second bend, after the damper, it's 100-200 degrees cooler landing around 235 which seems too cool. Now has me concerned that I am burning at too low of air levels and too much damper?
You should be measuring pipe temp after the damper. And yes all 3 temps are too low.

Last edited by a moderator: