Almost Finished Harvesting Hurricane Irene's Bounty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That red oak doesn't look very dead but does look like some excellent firewood. For sure you should re-consider how you split that wood. That Troybilt should handle the task with relative ease. Stand it up so you don't have to lift any wood. Let the tool do the work. And fear not, it never will be like it was 35 years ago! Sad, but true.
I've been using the splitter to bust up huge rounds in the upright position. I still can split red oak rounds faster with a maul than with the Troybilt and couldn't resist doing it. It was a lotta fun too :eek:) and the shoulder held up with no aches & pains. I'm not gonna keep tempting fate however. The oak was alive last Fall, but only had one branch with leaves on it. Dratted carpenter ants had infested the tree and we discovered them too late.

You are a beast, 6 months straight and you asking why?!

Amazing wanna come up to LI and help me out!!??
I've moved on to my daughter's to finish cutting there. She had a bunch of big oaks knocked down like pick up sticks on top of one another..pretty dicey and dangerous cutting. By the time I get that mess cut up and split, it will be too warm to work in LI. I really prefer doing this stuff in the Winter when it's nice and cold outside.

Of the organization, wood and work (even the aches) I am jealous. And beautiful grandkids, congrats. The bib overalls, eh, not so much. Even my old man never went that far, peasant stock that he was. LOL. I realize it's not a fashion event. Great pix and descriptions, Steppy.
Thanks! I like bibs especially when running the splitter. My T shirts were getting all stained from the bark tannin and ripped and torn from the bark. The bibs prevent all that and I don't get a lot of sawdust down my shirt when running the chainsaw. Here's a true story for ya. When my youngest daughter announced she wanted to get married, I told her I'd throw her a 4B wedding :eek:) Of course she asked me what that was and I replied, "Beer, Barbeque, Bluegrass music and Bib Overalls for the gents. She wasn't enthused or amused. Heck, if I ever get hitched again (been hitched 38 + yrs already and really don't have the patience to break in another woman) I'd have a 4 B wedding!

I've moved on to my daughter's to finish cutting there. She had a bunch of big oaks knocked down like pick up sticks on top of one another..pretty dicey and dangerous cutting. By the time I get that mess cut up and split, it will be too warm to work in LI. I really prefer doing this stuff in the Winter when it's nice and cold outside.

Well theres always next winter. Looks like when your done you wont need to split for a few years. How much do you burn any way?

And congrats on 38 yrs not to many people left sticking it out for better or for worse.
I'm with you, after 18 years were the heck would I go and who would put up with my insanity. And beside my wife is the best.
Never nags, never complains, we get along like bro's.

Well theres always next winter. Looks like when your done you wont need to split for a few years. How much do you burn any way?

And congrats on 38 yrs not to many people left sticking it out for better or for worse.
I'm with you, after 18 years were the heck would I go and who would put up with my insanity. And beside my wife is the best.
Never nags, never complains, we get along like bro's.

I burned about 2 cords last Winter, 4 the year before, so I have somewhere between 6-11 years worth of farwood.:)
My wife doesn't nag either. She found out long ago that doesn't work well with me, that and dropping "subtle hints". I told her forget the subtle hints as I'll never pick up on them. I told her, "If you want me to do something, come right out and say what you want rather than getting PO'd because I couldn't read your mind or pick up on your "subtle hints." Communication is a wonderful thing in a marriage.

OMG I have wood envy!

Your grandkids (?) look like they're having a great time too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.