Almost had a fire (outside the stove)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrel

Sep 15, 2006
New Fairfield, CT
I just finished my third season with my Avalon Astoria Bay. Up until now I have had no issues other than constantly having dirty glass on the left hand side. Today for the first time I ran the unit on high for about 20-30 minutes to finish off the remaining pellets. The stove was working fine when the thermostat shut it down since the room had reached temp and luckily I forgot to switch it off auto mode. The fire in the burn pot was pretty much completely out when smoke started filling the room. I could also see a lot of smoke coming from the chimney through a window. I removed the shrouds and saw where the liner connects to the stove connector was glowing red and it looks like the 500 degree sealer turned white and bubbled up around what I assume is a leak. The liner also has some white or gray residue on it which I assume is caused by extreme heat. I haven't used the stove at all in a month and it and the full liner were cleaned completely about 1-1.5 tons ago.

I'm wondering what would have caused this. Could the leak itself allow oxygen into the vent pipe and make it burn hot? Are these stoves not to be burned on high for extended periods of time?

Also, could I have ruined my liner since it got so hot? How could I tell.

I'll try to attach a picture. I'm not sure how that will turn out. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• liner.jpg
    liner.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 533
Was common silicone adhesive used here? The liner is probably fine. But it would be a good idea to reseal it with hi-temp rtv sealant.

It was hi temp silicon sold to me by a stove shop. I guess I'll just reseal and see what happens next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.