Already Using Snowshoes To Haul Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe they had canvas back then. That was my first thought when I saw the pics.
After reading the comments, I performed a little investigation and found more information on the hose than the belt. Fiber hoses were used as early as 1794, and in 1890 an unlined weave of material was used, including flax.
Other than use for clothing, I did not find much on this material being used as a belt.

Reactions: Todd67
2d08c1756b6546e3733c833e015d812e.jpg

This is what I use now. GV Nyflex Expedition. The larger 10x36 size. Have 2 pairs. They work great. No slipping and sliding on hard stuff & you can really motor with them. If you have a motoring hankering....

I keep the paths to the wood drying shed and the area where I cut/split wood cleared with the tractor and snow blower but I use snowshoes to haul fresh cuts out of the woods during the winter. In the national forest up here you can cut dead and down with a permit so with all the heavy storms we have during the winter, there is plenty of great firewood for the taking. Wish we could use snowmobiles to haul the wood out however those are not allowed off trail in the national forest so hauling the sled by hand requires snowshoes.

Currently using Tubbs Wilderness Snowshoes (30). They're rated for 170-250 pounds.

Last edited:
It didn't take me long to realize that I need a good quality pair of snowshoes when I started burning wood in 2012. I didn't hesitate to invest in some military surplus magnesium snowshoes. I spent 3 years in Alaska, stationed at Fort Richardson. I was in the Army Infantry, and these snowshoes we're absolutely necessary in that deep snow. We put them through the ringer in unforgivable conditions, carrying heavy loads over muskeg, through forests, and over mountains. Those GI snowshoes held up to everything we could throw at them!

Edited to add that I was stationed in Alaska from 1987-1990, when we still used old school gear from the 1950's, like wool field shirts and field pants. Those were the days!:)

We got 20+ inches of snow this past Thursday, so it was a no-brainer to get the snowshoes out so I could drag 10 loads of firewood 75 yards from my wood rack to my porch. The snowshoes pack the snow down real nicely, which makes it easy to walk on AND drag a sled full of wood. The pic was taken after I hauled 10 loads to the porch.

Does anyone else have a pair of snowshoes that you like to use for work or recreation?

View attachment 235280
In the 70's and 80's I worked and hunted on shoes. I worked for a phone company, and often access for a repair call would require shoes. Other times we would get dropped off where a line went cross country, walk the line fixing what we could, and be picked up a section or two over where the line hit a county road again.
I used a plastic sled similar to the one pictured when hunting. I would drag it behind me as I walked , hoping to have it loaded on the trip out. It was a great way to walk up on elk. The noise of the sled masked the bi pedal beat of a man walking.
For the most part, we made our bindings from inner tube. I still have a pair of shoes hanging in the shop, but I have not used them in years.
Some of my best hunting memories are of breaking out a billy at dark, making tea and a snack, and waiting for the moon to come up. A good moon on snow would make the trek out to the truck an amazing experience. Black wool long johns, wool pants, shirt, jacket and balaclava. No synthetics at that time.

Looks like I'll be using snowshoes again after this weekend's snow storm. We could get 20 inches of snow or more.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Yup, its looking like a whopper. Of course I would rather have lots of snow then the stuff they may get on the coast which is snow turning to rain then freezing solid.

I agree, freezing rain is much worse than snow. I'll take the snow any day.

Yup, its looking like a whopper. Of course I would rather have lots of snow then the stuff they may get on the coast which is snow turning to rain then freezing solid.

Our forecast currently has 2" of rain & a foot of snow in it. With freezing rain and high winds mixed in.

Track is still iffy - could end up all snow, all rain, or more likely a whole bunch of all of it.

Gaackk. <>

There are more questions and guesses than facts with this new winter storm. I guess we just have to hang on and enjoy the ride.

Of course the cynic in me feels that weather forecasters like to predict snowmageddon in advance of any potential storms as its eyeballs on the screen. The odd part with NH and Mass this years is there has not been a significant snow pack south of the white mountains so folks really aren't used to winter yet. Three inches of snow shuts down the interstates ;)

I