Alternate heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeebies

Oct 3, 2008
eastern pa.
With the price of fuel oil so high,what is the best source of heat to convert to? Is there any way we can use our existing radiators? Our house is over 100 years old. thanks

With no more information than that to go on, all I can offer is a suggestion to buy some electric blankets and woolen clothing and plan for next year. It's October. What is the source of the heat in your radiators...oil? What's the size and configuration of the home you're wanting to heat? What alternative heat sources have you considered? Is heating with wood something you really want to get into? I know...so many questions. But believe me, there will be many more coming your way if you're looking at wood heat. Welcome to the forums! Rick

More information is needed to give any kind of a serious answer.

So fossil since when do you answer a question with a question? :)

jeebies said:
With the price of fuel oil so high,what is the best source of heat to convert to? Is there any way we can use our existing radiators? Our house is over 100 years old. thanks

In PA, if I was you, I would convert to wood or coal. Both can be used with your existing radiators. Both will require effort.

In addition to a boiler, I would add a freestanding stove to the home in the living area. And yes, I really like my electric blankets.

Status
Not open for further replies.