Alternative housing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I can buy the co-housing concept. There are several in the new england area where each family has a private space while there are common spaces for use by the group. They usually have a common heating system for the project and many have PV set up as a microgrid. The buildings are concentrated fairly densely on the lot with a lot of common natural space left.

When I hear the term "bioceramic" would need convincing. Ceramic is normally a very high embodied energy product, tagging on "bio" doesnt mean much.

I expect the concept of fireproof construction is the big seller.

Geodesic domes (or dome housing in general) always look intriguing but in many cases the interior volume is not utilized well as its curved and society just seems to be stuck on rectilinear spaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
the expansion /contraction of the panels in the domes has become a problem for the those in in my area that were built back in the late 70's. Always had a fond spot for them and the simple A frame units.

I've been in some nice dome homes. Helped wire one back in the early 70s. It was an entirely foam coated, large double dome unit. Great space and super cheap to heat in NE winters. The main issue the homeowner had was moisture accumulation inside.

Besides fire-resistance, on the west coast these homes might have the added advantage of being quite earthquake resistant. That would be a plus. Carpenter ants wouldn't like them either. I'd like to know more about the ceramic and what compound is being used to attach the triangles, windows and doors and seal joints.

Last edited:
Trying to get more details but they are sketchy. They say that the ceramic used is twice the r-value of fiberglass, but that is not saying much. Just spitballing here but it sounds like a 1" thick panel would be around R=10? There is less surface area in a dome compared to stick-built, so that would help, but the examples they show have some large triangle glass (acrylic?) panels. I doubt those will have an R=10 rating.

Site link. Get out your crystals.

Last edited:
I remember reading about homes built completely of foam ( closed cell) . i also know there are foams available with enough structural strength to need very little in the way of support framing. I had some blocks of what was used between the inner and outer hull on the Nautilus sub when it was built, A full swing of an 8# sledge hammer would not even leave a dent, just bounce off.

I remember reading about homes built completely of foam ( closed cell) . i also know there are foams available with enough structural strength to need very little in the way of support framing. I had some blocks of what was used between the inner and outer hull on the Nautilus sub when it was built, A full swing of an 8# sledge hammer would not even leave a dent, just bounce off.

Stressed skin panel construction is one step way from solid foam, they just use chipboard on the exterior to deal with UV damage to the foam and to have something to nail the siding to. The skin also provides lateral bracing. The foam used can either be made with fossil or bio based ingredients. I expect if someone wanted fireproof they could specify a fire rated exterior sheathing.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Look Ma, no nails. Designed in Seattle, this house is a blend of a Bucky dome using high-end insulating ceramic panels.
Lots of comments about it staying cool by reflecting heat in hot weather but not much about it staying warm in winter in the description except being passive.

Lots of comments about it staying cool by reflecting heat in hot weather but not much about it staying warm in winter in the description except being passive.
Yes, I am a bit skeptical about that too.