Always need a backup ;)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well the PT has started. I have homework of 4 rounds a day. I had to ramp up my Advils as if I do all four rounds my ankle starts swelling half way through the day. I also got the go head to get my exercise bike ready to go. It will let me get some aerobic exercise.

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
I got to hop skip and jump over blocks and wire gates yesterday, reminded me of an agility course for small dogs;) . I also got to stand and balance on unstable objects plus walked backwards on a treadmill. I could do all the tasks but felt it afterwards. Swelling is a big issue at this point. Walking flat and level is not bad but walking in uneven snow is definitely challenging. Nevertheless, I moved in another load of wood to my bulkhead the day prior to therapy. My exercise bike is reminding me that I havent been doing aerobic activity lately, I am sucking wind way too early but at least its a start. 5 more weeks of therapy. Not sure when I can head out and drop some trees at the wood lot. I need a bit more snowpack anyhow so maybe I will get some snow from the storm this weekend. I like about 2 feet plus of snow on the ground before I can buck up the trees without tagging the ground or rocks. I expect my official therapy will be over before the snow pack is gone and I can do some snowshoe and chainsaw therapy.

3 months from when I broke my ankle, I "graduated" from physical therapy today. That means no more clinic sessions but plenty of "homework". I have full range of motion but the ankle is definitely nowhere near 100%. It may not be until at least some hardware gets removed as any pressure on my inner ankle for an extended period causes swelling. I have a set of X-rays next week and then get to see how long I have to wait to get the screws out on at least one side. I have written off winter hiking but still hope to be able to go drop a years worth of trees to start the firewood process again. Not sure if they will get bucked but it will be a start.

Its rough going and I hope you get the hardware out soon if you can do this...keeping you in my prayers and you will be just fine its just a matter of time...and light exercise...clancey

Just under 3 &1/2 months, 4 days after the ortho doc signed off on my bones being healed, I got the chainsaw out and dropped a few trees at my woodlot. A tad bit windy and my chain needed more than a touch up, but I finally got a start on my firewood for two years from now, The ankle is definitely not 100%, As well as the broken bones I dislocated the foot so all those soft tissues need to get back to 100% and they take longer than bone. Nevertheless, at this point its up to me to push what I can and cannot do. Unless I screw it up, the next follow up is in 6 months to talk hardware removal.

The bummer is I normally drop my trees with a good snow pack so I can buck them on top of the snow to keep the blade from hitting the ground. We had an early thaw so the snow pack is definitely sketchy.

It is going to take a few more days of cutting before I have enough on the ground. Splitting is another story but it normally gets done in the spring once I the road bans are off.

Next challenge is start hiking again. First destination is below. Its up behind my woodlot.

20211020_130545[1].jpg

20211020_130545[1].jpg

Last edited:
Connective tissue damage is the worst, there is almost no blood circulation in those tissues. I'm impressed at your determination and what you are capable of so soon after surgery!

It's good to hear that you are on the mend. Go slow and steady with the healing for a lasting recovery. This year is bound to be different. That's ok. Hire some help if need be. If you go hiking, bring along a buddy.