Am I burning right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyguylal

Oct 6, 2018
New Hampshire
Hi all,

First full season with a wood stove. Started burning at the end of last winter and limped along.

Englander 50-shssw02 (the huge madison). straight stove pipe to a triple wall chimney. Total of about 15'. Burning a mix of two year pine, two year oak, and wood bricks. The pine is very dry around 15% and the oak is sitting at 18%.

I'm just looking for some insight to see if I'm doing things right.

My routine is to load up the stove around 9pm and get a small fire going with the door cracked. When I have some coals, I load it up heavy and keep the door cracked until I have some good flames. After a bit, I close the door and adjust the air accordingly. With a full stove, I usually have some raging secondaries and the stove top gets to 600 degrees with the air shut down all the way for about two hours. Should I have more control over this with the air shut down or is this typical secondaries?

After about about two hours, the stove typically settles at 500 and cruises. The secondaries die out and the wood coals for the next 5-7 hours. Is this too long for the coaling stage? I look outside and don't have any smoke coming out of the chimney.

I am usually able to reload over hot coals in the morning after about 9 hours since loading up the night prior. In the morning, the stove is usually at 300 degrees.

Everything seem typical?

I did experiment with how I stack the wood in there the other night and I loaded in a very densely packed load of about 15 splits of oak at 8pm. The stove was at 400 degrees at 7am the next day.

Coaling stage doesn't contribute to much creosote buildup right?

Reactions: Louis
Coaling stage doesn't contribute to much creosote buildup right?
No, creosote usually (potentially) forms in the first third of the burn, and while you're baking the last of the water out of the wood. Usually by the time there isn't much water left you've got some pretty good secondaries rolling.

5-7 hours of coals sounds good as long as you're still getting some heat out of it.