Am I On the Right Track?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncguy

Feb 1, 2011
Western NC
I live in the mountains of NC (more of a PA type climate in the winter) and am in the process of deciding which OWB I want to buy. Here's the situation:

The House:
-Built around 1970. Has newer double-pane windows throughout, added attic insulation, 2x4 walls, wood siding. Around 1100 square feet.
-We will probably eventually add on 200 or 300 square feet.
-Currently heated with a fuel oil furnace. Takes around 400 gallons per year.
-Has existing ductwork in the crawl space (no basement).

The OWB:
-Will sit 60 feet from the end of the house, about 90 feet from the current oil furnace.

I have access to cheap wood in the form of logs and time and energy to cut, split, and stack the wood.
I am considering boiler steel over stainless due to the ease of repair should the furnace ever need it.
I want to spend no more than $4500 on the furnace itself.
I have looked at Hawken, Earth Stove, Shaver, and Heatmaster.

I would like to hear any and all advice, suggestions, or comments.

While you have cheap wood, the time required to process wood for those units you suggest is , most of the time more than people expect even for a relatively light heating demand you have. 400 per year is a low fuel oil bill. I know as i just replaced a Central boiler conventional OWB with a gassification unit. I got my moneys worthou out of the OWB but the last two years i cut my own wood and i was cutting wood ALL the time.

maybe take two or three thousand from your addition budget, build a small insulated building and put a 4,500 dollar indoor gasification unit in it. Trouble is OWB gassifyers are double your budget. but that said, wood consumption will be half what a traditional OWB is. NY state has outlawed the generation one OWBs, Im not sure about penn.

steel prices are going through the roof. the plumbing parts to connect your unit, circulator and associated plumbing are a substantial cost also. Dont size your underground line too small, dont go less than one inch pex,

just my comments based on two system installs and using 100% wood heat for seven years...

barkeater

400 gallons? you'll probably burn 4 maybe 5 cords of wood a year. I would guess you'll have more than $4500 in it. Just take a long time on ROI. How about a central located wood stove? just use it in deep winter. You'll have a source of heat for power outages. OWB's are getting outlawed more and more every year. just a few thoughts. Good Luck.

I appreciate the comments so far. Again, I'm in a rural area and no one complains about wood smoke here-one of my closest neighbors has an OWB and everyone here is fine with it. I realize my oil consumption is not all that high, but at 3.xx per gallon I'm spending around $1200 per year. I can buy enough logs for well under $500 to heat the house for a year. Yes, it will take a while to get a return on my investment but it will be nice to know that no matter what happens in the middle east I can heat my house at a reasonable cost. I grew up with wood heat so I know what kind of work it is and I'm fine with it. It's good exercise and it helps me clear my head. I realize an indoor stove makes the most sense here, but it's out of the question due to allergies and space issues in the house.

I talked to a Heatmaster dealer today about the Eco 3000. I can get it intalled for $5900 (includes pipe, fittings, heat exchanger installation, and hot water heater installation). All I have to do is dig a ditch and pour a concrete slab. Is anyone familiar with these boilers? Thanks again.

IMHO.... "the right track" never includes an OWB. For the $$$$ you mentioned you can choose from several small gassers that will burn a fraction of the wood an OWB will & will last far longer than an OWB will & have $$$ left over to build a shed for it, so it is all out of the house for the reasons you mentioned. May as well do it right the first time. Sure wish I had.

You will never reach payback with your oil consumption that low because there is far more than meets the eye in terms of the cost of burning wood in an OWB. A small wood stove would be far less expensive up front and you would actually start putting money back in your pocket after 4 or 5 years. The OWB??? Mmmm no. Poor choice of investment.
Not trying to throw water on your fire here but I wouldn't even think about it if I were in your shoes and burning that amount of oil.

There is such a beasty as an outdoor wood hot air furnace that hooks into your ductwork through two holes in your sill plate or foundation. They come even less recommended than the traditional OWB but it might be a good compromise in your case, since you already have forced air, not a boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.