Am I overfiring without realizing? Quadrafire Yosemite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joshc

Dec 7, 2018
Washington
I noticed that my quadrafire yosemite has a top plate that comes off the other day. I pulled it off today an noticed that the firebox is actually steel and not cast iron. I have a double wall stove pipe so I put my temp gauge on the stove top. It made me think am I heating my stove way hotter than I think or is measuring it from the top of the cast iron plate correct.

That would surely negate any kind of accurate measurement. What is the highest temp you got it up to per your gauge?

get a probe thermometer for your double wall pipe. I have a cast iron jacketed stove with swing out trivets which expose the actual steel stove top, and that's where I keep my stove top thermometer.

I had a runaway fire one time that got to 800°. Normally it cruises around 550°. I'm gunna order myself up a probe thermometer today.

I had a runaway fire one time that got to 800°. Normally it cruises around 550°. I'm gunna order myself up a probe thermometer today.
You got to 800 on the cast jacket???? Yeah that is a severe overfire for sure

Reactions: Woody5506

Yeah if that's on your cast iron jacket that's pretty nuts, real stove top temp at that point would be well over 1000.