Am I too cheap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

53splitter

Jan 1, 2009
Kentucky
I am planning to install a US Stove furnace add-on. It will be installed in my basement near the walk-out side. The chimney pipe will have to go through the basement wall which is studded, not concrete. I know the best and recommended next step is to run the chimney pipe up the side of my house and do the standard 2 foot above any part of the roof within 10 feet.
I would like some opinions on what if I ran the chimney pipe out of the wall, stopped, and added a mechanical draft fan instead of running the 40 feet of chimney pipe I would need.
Basically I am just trying to save money. From what I have read the main problem would be in the event of a power failure. Are there other drawbacks? Does anyone have a mechanical draft fan installed on their pipe? thanks for responding I appreciate it.

53splitter said:
I am planning to install a US Stove furnace add-on. It will be installed in my basement near the walk-out side. The chimney pipe will have to go through the basement wall which is studded, not concrete. I know the best and recommended next step is to run the chimney pipe up the side of my house and do the standard 2 foot above any part of the roof within 10 feet.
I would like some opinions on what if I ran the chimney pipe out of the wall, stopped, and added a mechanical draft fan instead of running the 40 feet of chimney pipe I would need.
Basically I am just trying to save money. From what I have read the main problem would be in the event of a power failure. Are there other drawbacks? Does anyone have a mechanical draft fan installed on their pipe? thanks for responding I appreciate it.

Power failure for sure, plus the fact that the smoke may linger at ground level and either make its way back into the home or not disburse as fast as it would up in the air where a decent air current could dilute it and carry it away. I am not sure they make a power vent for wood burners do they?

I have found a few mechanical draft fans. Here is one http://www.volko.com/Chimneyfan.htm
I have read the "Stove in Basement Question" post just above mine and most people are saying how bad an outside chimney is for drafting purposes. So my thoughts are why spend the $1000 on pipe and installation if it is not going to work properly. Seems to me the best solution would be the draft fan. But I am a rookie and don't want to burn down the house. Any other thoughts?

As with any wood burning stove. Each application is different. Some basement installs work great, some draft poorly.
Find what works best for you. For me, I just can't see relying on a powered draft inducer which may bring several issues:
Power outage= no stove, as you already understand.
Too much draw from fan can prematurely burn your loads and possibly cause overfire?
How long is the thing really going to last, warranty looks a lil sketchy.
How easy will it be to clean from any build up that at some point is going to happen. How will build up effect the running capacity?
How much does it cost? I personally hate sites that won't post pricing. Making you email them your info is just a way to continually receive their adds etc.
Too many variables for me. But that is me, you have to decide what is best for you, how safe a set up do you want, and at what point is safety and good operation less worthy than cost?
If these things are that good, how many are actually in use? I myself have not seen any in use around me. Is there any local codes in your area for or against them.
Don't rush in, continue your research and get as many questions like these that you may have answered before jumping in.

2 issues that immediately come to my mind are:

The exit of your shorter flue would be throwing hot gas up the side of your house. That could have dangerous consequences beyond coloring the outside of the building.

The second is your house will be a better chimney than your actual chimney and smoke will find it easier to go through your house than up the real chimney. You may have problems with downdrafts in windy conditions too.

Matt

Beside being dangerous on more levels than can be counted and most assuredly illegal, one fact is that those Exhausto fans cost as much as you would be spending on a safe and proper chimney anyway.

I have never seen one for less than $1,200 just for the fan much less the needed accessories.

53splitter said:
I have found a few mechanical draft fans. Here is one http://www.volko.com/Chimneyfan.htm

I have read the “Stove in Basement Question” post just above mine and most people are saying how bad an outside chimney is for drafting purposes. So my thoughts are why spend the $1000 on pipe and installation if it is not going to work properly. Seems to me the best solution would be the draft fan. But I am a rookie and don’t want to burn down the house. Any other thoughts?
Profile PM

I have used a wood add on furnace with a metal chimney and used a draft booster for seven years (tjernlund). The chimney worked fine but had to be cleaned about once a month. I have been burning wood for 19+ years with parts of the same insulated metal chimney. I had to use a draft inducer because I had about 10' near of horizontal pipe in the basement before it went through the wall and sometimes the draft would not be strong enough to pull the smoke up the chimney. Sometimes the weather would create enough back pressure that we needed the draft inducer.

Running the pipe out a short distance then hooking a draft inducer to it would not work well in a high wind situation. The fans only move a small amount of air and cannot overcome the pressure created by a storm (unless you get expensive and complicated ones) and you would smoke the house. A negative pressure on the other hand, as you would get with the chimney being on the leeward (opposite side of the hard wind) could create a vacuum on the end of the short chimney and overdraft your furnace which could be about the same thing as a chimney fire. I have seen black pipe turn cherry red in a matter of seconds when conditions were right. The long upright chimney will work but it is not a one time done deal. It needs to be maintained. The better the chimney is the less trouble you should have. But it will still require your attention. Don't burn wet wood. Use only well seasoned and dry wood but remember creosote will still collect. Going short out the side is like dating disaster and you really don't want to do that.

53splitter said:

I can't say it any other way.

DON'T DO IT!!

Forced draft devices on solid fuel appliances are a very high maintenance item. You will easily have more than the cost of a good chimney invested within 3-5 years. Plus after you become so frustrated with the breakdowns and cleaning that you decide to abandon the idea, you'll still have to buy the chimney after all the grief the inducer has given you.

How about the building code and homeowner's insurance. They disallow a claim with a rig like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.