Amateur trying to avoid upcoming bursting pipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpgoalie

Hearth Supporter
May 27, 2009
NH
I have a single flu chimney with a large wood stove on the main floor as my primary source of heat. (24/7) and an oil furnace hooked up to the same flu in the basement. The furnace is a 4 year old Hallmark that can be direct vented. I am trying to save money and would like to do the work myself. Can a furnace be directly vented out the side and up to the roof along an exterior wall with a stainless steel pipe? ..... Is it that easy? Any detailed advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have the furnace as a back up and do it myself for as cheaply as possible....

Thanks

If your oil furnace is approved for direct venting it can be quite simple. For what it's worth - sharing flue's is a bad idea and not code compliant.

You may want to post what model/brand furnace you're talking about so folks on this board who are familiar can comment.

FWIW most of the wood stoves can be vented this way also and use the flue for the basement furnace if it works any better.
Are there floors above the wood stove location?

I don't quite get what you are talking about... I don't know of ANY stove makers that list their products to share a flue with any other appliance. Every stove manual I've ever looked at says one appliance per flue...

Also I don't know of ANY cordwood stoves that are designed to be wall vented, again, every manual I've seen calls for a vertical chimney, either masonry (preferably w/ a liner) or Class A pipe.

The only sort of wood stove that I know of that can be through the wall vented is a pellet stove.

Tony H said:
FWIW most of the wood stoves can be vented this way also and use the flue for the basement furnace if it works any better.
Are there floors above the wood stove location?

Gooserider

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe my description was not clear. I do not want to share a flu between oil furnace and wood stove. I have a wood stove connected to a flu and want to vent my furnace outdoors. Was wonder how a DYI guy could do it himself......

U could power vent the oil furnace not that difficult from what I understand. No need to run pipe up the side of your house with these. They are pricey but I saw one on craiglist the other day for $250 used it was in your area too.

dpgoalie said:
Thanks for the responses.

Maybe my description was not clear. I do not want to share a flu between oil furnace and wood stove. I have a wood stove connected to a flu and want to vent my furnace outdoors. Was wonder how a DYI guy could do it himself......

As I understand it, the requirements for doing a side vent on the furnace vary between furnace makes and models, I would start by talking to the furnace maker, and / or your local HVAC folks, and find out what is required. Presumably at that point you could get the parts to install yourself, or possibly just do a lot of the "grunt work" like making the holes in the wall, etc., and leave the detailed install to the furnace folks.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.