Amazon Prime forcing sales of Fire TV?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Just received this from Amazon:

Amazon will no longer be supporting the Prime Video app on your Sony Smart TV as of September 26, 2019. We are continually upgrading our service and this occasionally means we can no longer support certain device models.

This is a major irritant, since we rely quite heavily on the Amazon Prime video app on our fleet of Sony Smart TV's. In fact, I have bought at least five large (up to 70") Sony Smart TV's over the last few years, in addition to two Sony Smart Blu-Ray players, all almost entirely for the purpose of streaming Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Reading farther, I wonder how many others they've dropped, and if this is more about selling their Fire TV devices, than anything else:

To help you to continue streaming your favorite content, we’re offering you a $25 credit towards select Fire TV devices which will allow you to continue to stream your favorites from Prime Video.

I have been unable to find a specific list of models affected, but suspect it may be all of my Sony Smart TV products. Has anyone else received this email? The link they provide is entirely useless, it does not actually list the models they're dropping or continuing to support: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKZQ3LY43DX7RGCF&tag=hearthamazon-20

When it can be a little bit of everything here, I don't think that Amazon is all at fault here. Many different operating system and closed systems to keep up with. Some company update theirs software and firmware, when others don't do nothing about it. It is hard to move at other people pace. I have similar situation with Netflix on one of my TVs. For some reason Vizio has no update for this Walmart model to make it comparable with newer versions of Netflix. I am stuck with a version that is hard to navigate compare to any of my other TVs and no support.
The proof of that is, how different it looks the interface of a program on different TVs.

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t buy it, in this case. We are not talking about some obscure off-brand, here. This is friggin SONY, typically the top-rated and most expensive brand in smart TVs, if not sharing that spot with Samsung.

Reactions: JimBear
Typically the software in Smart TV's is old stuff. I got latest DVD Player and Web Browser was 10 years old. You better off getting Stupid TV in the long run. Amazon has had sale for Firestick. I have 3 of them.

I'm guessing it's an issue with a new app compatibility with older operating systems. App developers add new features but not all are compatible with older systems.

Sony is likely running some variant of Android and devices could be running any version from 4-9. So it's likely a compatibility issue between the versions.

Your complaint should be with Sony for not updating the TV software not with Amazon for providing app updates.

Reactions: Ashful
While that does stink what they are doing, firesticks are (or at least were) $19.99.

You better off getting Stupid TV in the long run. Amazon has had sale for Firestick. I have 3 of them.
I like stupid TV for the background noise and old re-runs I’d never bother to seek out, while I’m working on my computer in the evenings. I also have Netflix, and Amazon Prime, and Hulu, and a few Roku’s... why do I need to buy a Firestick, too?

Sony is likely running some variant of Android and devices could be running any version from 4-9. So it's likely a compatibility issue between the versions.

Your complaint should be with Sony for not updating the TV software not with Amazon for providing app updates.
This is likely, and was one of my concerns when dropping over $1300 on a Smart TV... will it be obsolete before the hardware is worn out? But Sony does push updates to all of these TV’s thru WiFi, I get the nag screen to run one of these updates at least once per year on each device, and I always do it.

I guess I have to do some reading, to determine where to cast my complaint, and see if I can push this issue toward a resolution. In my opinion, if not resolved, this is classic class-action lawsuit stuff. Millions of people spend nearly a thousand dollars each on these TVs, to then be screwed out of one of the primary features advertised as part of the purchase decision. Heck, there was even an Amazon Prime Video logo prominently displayed right on the box of each of these units... then you open it and learn it doesn’t actually work with Amazon Prime? Not acceptable.

While that does stink what they are doing, firesticks are (or at least were) $19.99.

They must be more than that, if they’re giving me a $25 discount towards one. And depending on how many of these Sony TV’s drop the feature, I’m in for a half dozen of these sticks.

... and then it’s just another WiFi device to maintain, every time I need to change something on the network. Not a huge deal, but an irritant, when I’m already spending time to re-connect each TV in the house with new passwords, etc. Again, I spent the money on these TV’s to have these features integrated, not deal with more peripherals.

That's part of the issue.

I have a Pixel, Google pushes updates to Android every month. The issue is the manufactures of devices/carries then decide they need to put their own touches on it so what should be a monthly update now becomes months to a year+.

Meanwhile the apps are updated frequently to work with the new features of the most current sometimes breaking the compatibility with older operating system versions.

They must be more than that, if they’re giving me a $25 discount towards one. And depending on how many of these Sony TV’s drop the feature, I’m in for a half dozen of these sticks.

... and then it’s just another WiFi device to maintain, every time I need to change something on the network. Not a huge deal, but an irritant, when I’m already spending time to re-connect each TV in the house with new passwords, etc. Again, I spent the money on these TV’s to have these features integrated, not deal with more peripherals.
I paid $10 for ours on sale. Regularly they are in the $25 range.

I paid $10 for ours on sale. Regularly they are in the $25 range.

Maybe I’ll just lobby for $25 credit, times the number of Sony Smart TVs I have bought. But I’d still prefer to have it integrated over having another peripheral.

I had it on my Sony a few years ago. The interface was a PITA. I use a Roko stick these days.

I have a Roku stick on one of our older “non-smart” TVs, and it’s nice, but I prefer the integrated approach.

I like the interface of the apps on my Samsung TVs but I switched long time ago to Nvidia shield TV boxes. I am more into IPTV and regardless which TV, they have no good processing power for IPTV.

Obsolescence is built into these TVs and content delivery systems. It's a changing landscape and this will continue. Part of this is technology changes (remember when 3D TV was a must-have a few years back?) and part is contract-driven. AT&T failed to negotiate and lost some channels for its DirectTV. Hulu lost its HBO contract, etc.. The 500 lb. gorilla just entering the room is Disney. That corporation has tremendous assets and cash as compared to Netflix and others. Their recent streaming presence is going to change the landscape once again. For this reason, we have the Fire Stick, knowing that something different will be around in 3-5 yrs.

Reactions: tadmaz and lsucet
The way things are going, we, the consumer will be affected big time. Many companies creating their own streaming services and pulling content off of Netflix. They all want a fee for their streaming services. We will be paying for multiple services very soon to can have a variety of movies and TV shows.

Obsolescence is built into these TVs and content delivery systems. It's a changing landscape and this will continue. Part of this is technology changes (remember when 3D TV was a must-have a few years back?) and part is contract-driven. AT&T failed to negotiate and lost some channels for its DirectTV. Hulu lost its HBO contract, etc.. The 500 lb. gorilla just entering the room is Disney. That corporation has tremendous assets and cash as compared to Netflix and others. Their recent streaming presence is going to change the landscape once again. For this reason, we have the Fire Stick, knowing that something different will be around in 3-5 yrs.
I'm actually hoping for more "dumb" TV's to be around when my Panasonic plasma TV from 2011 dies. Honestly I'm hoping the panasonic never dies. I run one of those "plasma TV repair" videos on youtube if I ever see any lingering screen burn. Since we stopped using my Xbox as a streaming device we haven't had any burn in, the Fire stick keeps the screen saver going or turns off. My current TV is technically a smart TV, but none of the apps are supported and it doesn't have wireless capability. Every month there's another streaming company, new channel, or new service. There's no longer money to be saved, so we are in for another upheaval.

Everyone wants to put a hose into your wallet and suck out their take. There is money to be saved if one objectively can select what they subscribe to. Almost all subscriptions have tons of fluff channels that one never watches. No one can watch or need 500+ channels. Try to avoid those models. It's kind of like running a 20kw whole house generator all night long for just the refrigerator instead of managing loads with a small generator a 10th the size. We balance out less options (and cost) with shows from our great library system, OAB and reading. We may be a year or two behind in our viewing, but who cares? We got used to this raising kids. There were lots of shows we did want to watch with them and by the time they were in bed we were too sleepy to watch them anyway, so we time shifted and now have lots of things to watch even if we are behind the latest. Just say no.

In full disclosure, we do have a subscription to HBO Now for some streaming content and have a Netflix DVD subscription. Total cost $24/mo. We are also fortunate to be within range of a great PBS station that broadcasts excellent world content (MHz and NHK) on a couple of its channels. We donate to them annually.

Last edited:
Everyone wants to put a hose into your wallet and suck out their take. There is money to be saved if one objectively can select what they subscribe to. Almost all subscriptions have tons of fluff channels that one never watches. No one can watch or need 500+ channels. Try to avoid those models. It's kind of like running a 20kw whole house generator all night long for just the refrigerator instead of managing loads with a small generator a 10th the size. We balance out less options (and cost) with shows from our great library system, OAB and reading. We may be a year or two behind in our viewing, but who cares? We got used to this raising kids. There were lots of shows we did want to watch with them and by the time they were in bed we were too sleepy to watch them anyway, so we time shifted and now have lots of things to watch even if we are behind the latest. That said we do have a subscription to HBO Now for some streaming content and have a Netflix DVD subscription. Total cost $24/mo.

We use Netflix, Hulu, and Prime with Smithsonian and Gaia channels. We are thinking about dropping Hulu since we rarely use anymore and I really only bought a subscription so we could watch the Stargate TV series. Many of the movies we used to watch for free on Hulu and Netflix have moved to different pay subscriptions. That's what I mean about less money to be saved. Eventually I think folks will be rotating through streaming services after they've watched their fill. Ultimately we don't watch much TV anyway. At most five hours per week on a normal week. Some weeks we have a higher use due to weather or other factors. Honestly, I'm surprised Ashful has any time to watch any TV at all!

That is why we dropped cable a couple decades ago. We just this year started streaming. Tried a couple services and dropped them. If there is a really good new movie out we'd rather go and support our local theater. At least that money stays in the community and they serve good beer and wine!

It's kind of like running a 20kw whole house generator all night long for just the refrigerator instead of managing loads with a small generator a 10th the size.
Psst... begreen... analogies are supposed to be simpler than the subject they are being used to describe!

That is why we dropped cable a couple decades ago. We just this year started streaming. Tried a couple services and dropped them. If there is a really good new movie out we'd rather go and support our local theater. At least that money stays in the community and they serve good beer and wine!
The closest silver screen is two hours away, so we usually just stay home. We have a great local beer and wine store, so I'd rather shop there and just stay home. I feel like we as consumers should be paid to watch TV with the insane amount of ads. Even streaming has ads creeping in .

The closest silver screen is two hours away, so we usually just stay home. We have a great local beer and wine store, so I'd rather shop there and just stay home. I feel like we as consumers should be paid to watch TV with the insane amount of ads. Even streaming has ads creeping in .
Same here. Just saw the Lion King at a local high-end theater, to satisfy grandparents and kids, but the last time I visited a theater before that was almost two years ago.

Even with the high-end recliners they're putting in the new theaters, my food, liquor, and entire experience is still much better at home. I visit the theater as infrequently as possible, probably averaging less than once every second year over the last two decades.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Same here. Just saw the Lion King at a local high-end theater, to satisfy grandparents and kids, but the last time I visited a theater before that was almost two years ago.

Even with the high-end recliners they're putting in the new theaters, my food, liquor, and entire experience is still much better at home. I visit the theater as infrequently as possible, probably averaging less than once every second year over the last two decades.

Also it costs a small fortune to take a family out to see a movie. My wife is a home care nurse and went with her client's family to see the new Lion King and she couldn't believe how much it costs in tickets alone. I assume the concession stand is what really keeps a theater in the green, despite the outrageous ticket costs. You pay money to be pelted by ads for an unknown amount of time in a room full of other (probably sick) people and the only food is more expensive than gold per weight and will give you diabetes. Sure, it's awesome to see a movie on such a large screen with an amazing surround sound system, but not that awesome. A high end home theater setup would pay for itself rather quickly when compared to going out to see movies.

Well, with just two people at my house it wouldn't be worth it to go all out on a home theater system for a 300 sqft living room. Even just a modest setup using a projector would still be worth it for us. At this point, I'd rather just search amazon and buy digital or physical copies of movies and TV shows than pay for monthly subscriptions. Amazon is the devil, but they facilitate all the things I like to magically appear via brown boxes or the internet.